Help with menuki info

Frank Bunny

Hi, I'm having trouble identifying the crest in the center of these maru menuki. They came with a tanto that was traditionally wrapped with 4mm ito but the wrap had disintegrated and the menuki were detached so I can't be sure how they were mounted or if they are even original to this tanto. I think they also feature peacocks and clouds but I'd like confirmation. Can anyone provide examples of how menuki like this were mounted on a tsuka with tsukamaki? I've only seen dome type menuki like this mounted on tsuka with only samegawa and no ito. The tsuka is small, approx 4" so these menuki seem quite large for the tsuka and for the ito used. 

Thank you in advance

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Josh.

Not a Peacock but a Hou-ou (or Hoo-oo) -- The Japanese Phoenix. The three? crossed leaves in the center are a bit difficult to identify.

The Kamon on the right is the closest I could find from a quick search - sorry the definition is not good. The only maru menuki images I could find are on Tachi Koshirae - I am sure there are sword experts out there with better information.

image.thumb.png.3999502e2d2b71d779dc578da65654cd.png

image.thumb.png.0fde93d8d6fed8280c423144bcc01e65.png

thank you, I appreciate the help. I was also wondering if these could have been something other than menuki, maybe buttons of some kind? I know I've read that some "menuki" were actually from tobacco pouches. these have a post in the back but neither one is long enough to be able to be inserted in the holes in the surface of the samegawa, they look like they've been clipped and or ground down.  they don't look like typical soldered on menuki posts to me and the menuki appear to be cast rather than made via uchidashi 

IMG_1187.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..