Blade fitting random Type 3 scabbard : advices please!

Bruno

Hi all,

So here is the problem. I need a Type 3 scabbard for my RJT naked blade. I may have found a potential scabbard that is on the other side of the pond (I live in France), so I cannot try and check if they fit together or not.

I know the odds are tiny that they could fit anyway.

If one of you guys have a trick that could help to have a better idea if they will fit or not, please share. I would really appreciate it even if it will still be a gamble eventually.

Thanks for your help.

Draw on powerless the outline of the blade. Send the cutout to the person who owns the saya. If he removes the screws holding the koiguchi (end cap), he can gently pull the wood insert out. The two halves usually come apart easily. He then can try to see it the fit is close.

Some owners would not do this with their saya.

Here is a more modern option. Get a 3D print of the blade and send that to him to try it out.

• Like 2

If the length and sori fit the outer shell, and the liner can be removed, you can shave what you need for your blade, once you get the saya.  However, in my attempt to remove the liners from all my saya for cleaning, I've found about half that I could not get out.  Don't know why or how their stuck, but some of them are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, b.hennick said:

Draw on powerless the outline of the blade. Send the cutout to the person who owns the saya. If he removes the screws holding the koiguchi (end cap), he can gently pull the wood insert out. The two halves usually come apart easily. He then can try to see it the fit is close.

Some owners would not do this with their saya.

Here is a more modern option. Get a 3D print of the blade and send that to him to try it out.

Thanks Barry, that seems pretty clever. 

You mean I draw the outline of the blade on a long paper and send it by letter to the owner of the scabbard? 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

If the length and sori fit the outer shell, and the liner can be removed, you can shave what you need for your blade, once you get the saya.  However, in my attempt to remove the liners from all my saya for cleaning, I've found about half that I could not get out.  Don't know why or how their stuck, but some of them are.

Thanks Bruce. I thought to that but measuring the sori of the outer shell is not easy due to the koi guchi and kojiri which you cannot remove.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..