Japanese Bayonet Info

Graviga

Bought this today at a local antique store. I paid 125$(+10 tax), and was wondering a few things:

1. How did I do price wise?

2. Any more specific information about it?

3. I've only ever owned modern production swords and Nihonto, so I'm unsure of how to care for it. I know I can't scrub the rust off, but can I oil it? Care for the leather in anyway? Clean some of the dirt off? Just leave it alone? It does have a nice protective patina.

Thanks I have no idea. More pics in the link below:

photos.app.goo.gl/LxPnNxEvMQiTNiaH8

20210813_181942.jpg

20210813_182039.jpg

Type 30 bayonet with hooked quillion made at Mukden arsenal for imperial Japan during WWII. In terms of value I wouldn't say you got a good deal. Bayonets in much better condition sometimes sell for less than that on ebay.

As for cleaning it, might as well touch it with oil and some copper wool. I can't tell if the blade is that rusted or if it's a blued blade and just very dirty. For the leather maybe just use some Ren Wax? And please don't sharpen, it won't enhance it's value but rather decrease it.

Don't mean to be rude, my personal opinion it's worth 60-80$ if it cleans up half decent. If I'm suprised and it does clean up real nice though it might be worth somewhere close to what you paid.

Thanks Marc. That's nice to know I can clean it up. Is there a limit to the amount of clean up I can do? For instance can I start with 400 grit sand paper and move up?

I don't think your being rude at all. If it's not worth what I paid it's not worth it.

3 hours ago, Graviga said:

Thanks Marc. That's nice to know I can clean it up. Is there a limit to the amount of clean up I can do? For instance can I start with 400 grit sand paper and move up?

I don't think your being rude at all. If it's not worth what I paid it's not worth it.

Don't feel bad about the price. Most of these Bayonets are now in the $200 - $300.00 range on eBay, Gun Broker, and on other collectibles and auction sites. Some in better condition, some worse. But, over the last 6 months I've not seen many, in decent shape at least, for less than $200.00 USD. That's the current reality. Maybe you can negotiate and get a seller to accept a lower price, but, in general, that's the price range now. We're seeing inflation in almost everything these days, including military collectibles.

With all respect to Marc, I believe his personal valuation is significantly lower than market price. That is his subjective opinion of value to him so it isn't wrong by any means. I believe you did well with the price. 

This is a nice bayonet. A little love and attention as detailed above will go a long way.

• Like 1

No offense taken, but I based my pricing off of recent GunBroker sales.

This one sold for 150$ in very good condition.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902841541

This one sold for 82$ in similar condition(but cleaned) to OP

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906021364

I could see 300$ for a type 30 bayonet if it was a Toyoda Loom in excellent condition but not a Mukden blade unless it was being sold by a retailer then prices don't matter. I don't think you did bad, I just don't think you got a deal.

Side note: Mukden arsenal was not technically a real arsenal and it wasn't even located in Japan but in China, Manchuria 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..