Help needed identifying fittings

Yoshimichi

Wow love that kawari  - Waves and Maple leaf design - with two paddles. [let me know if you want to sell it!]

Not sure of one of the menuki but one is of a Child's doll. I have a couple of Kawari that are reworked from broken rims and one in the Metropolitan museum. [36.120.195]  I can't help noticing the double sekigane - someone treasured it enough to remount it at least twice.

image.thumb.png.2262a4ec7fca20d8023e293dfcf4ba13.pngimage.thumb.png.3ae49f96462ad799a28b97faf078c859.png

• Like 2

Kawari are irregular outlined guards, they sometimes make up the shape of an object. There are many 'standard' shapes that guards can take - kawari are those that don't fit those standard types. As far as school or maker of your piece it could be Chosu, Bushu or even Kinai, I would only be guessing. It is hand carved and obviously not a modern copy.

These images are of Kawari -gata tsuba. Those with the red box outline show rim versions and those without, you could class them as 'modified' to Kawari shape. The others are the finished shape of an object. I have in excess of thirty Kawari-gata in my collection, about half are 'modified' - so previously damaged and reworked. Sometimes Kobushi-gata [closed fist] guards are also called Kawari because of the irregular shape.

kawari.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! Thanks for all of the information on  these fittings. The sword is very delicate, similar to a Boy's Day sword. The doll menuki would seem consistent with a sword given to a young person. I will attach a few photos of the sword shortly. Does this look like a child's sword, consistent with the fittings?

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan

Spoiler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..