Identifying an unknown wakizashi and katana (Naotane??)

Thank you Moriyama for correcting the reading.

I think very little features can be seen on the pictures and trying to identify based on them would be incredibly difficult. The signatures have good pictures and they can be the start of conversation. I feel we have been getting nice discussion in this thread overall, and I feel it is nice for the forum in general.

We haven't even yet really touched on the koshirae (fittings) yet. That will be an interesting subject too as it is paired and themed koshirae. Maybe because of the current situation as I haven't seen swords live in long long time, I feel there are many very interesting items for researching popping up lately in the forum.

• Like 2

Hi GE this Katana is signed NAN-JU HASSAI, SHOJI MINO no SUKE, NAOTANE SAKU, DATED ANSEI TWO, A DAY IN FEBRUARY.

NAOTANE MADE THESE SWORD IN 1855, HE WAS 78 YEARS OLD.

I DO NOT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT BLADE AND FITTINGS ..

BEST

On 8/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, DTM72 said:

Just asking, how is it some of his best work? Have you seen some Hozon or Tokubetsu Hozon versions signed 大慶庄司直胤 (花押) = TaiKei ShoJi NaoTane (Kao)? Everything about the ones I have seen, the hada, the hamon, the nakago shape, the overall sugata, far exceed the one we are discussing here. Again, refer back to what Ken said above...The blade sugata should be the #1 item considered. Due to the amount of Gimei out there, you should NOT buy a blade based upon signature, unless you have legitimate papers, or you are well versed enough in sugata and school identification to believe that the signature goes along with what you are seeing. In my post above (post #7) I tried NOT to say outright that the sugata does not 100% match the signature...but as you can read above from others, some things are off.

^^All that being said^^ It is a good looking blade. If I were to see it in an antique place for $500-$1000...I'd probably buy it. Keep it for X number of years and enjoy it, then sell it for a better piece with papers. If you were to send this to shinsa, it has a good chance of coming back gimei. Wishing you the best.

Also in the beginning of my sentence I mentioned "IF...this blade is legit.... Hard to tell from the photo's.....then the date tells us it was towards the end of his career as a smith and from what information is available that time period was some of his best work....that is ....if it's not a Gimei

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..