G'day Mark,

Thanks again for the great pics and info. I'd like to co-ordinate my next trip to Sydney with Colin's visit to the gallery, so, looking forward to the dates. Lastly, I was unable to find any reference to the display on the gallery website, do you (or Colin) know if they have anything in the works?

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

On the 18th of February, Colin will be attending at the Art Gallery to clean the swords. He is inviting NMB members to attend on the day and have a closeup study of the swords and fittings on display. This is a fantastic opportunity and well worth the effort.

Please let me know if you want to take up the invitation and I'll pass your name on to Colin.

Regards

Mark

Hi all,

What a fantastic effort. Congratulations to the collectors, the co-ordinators and drivers of this exhibition...not least to the enlightened management and curatorial staff of the Art Gallery of NSW. In contrast to this is the Western Australian Museum. It had a very creditable Arms and Armour Collection on display at Fremantle from 1974-1990. It included a sizeable portion of the Japanese swords, yari and yoroi in their collection. It was consistantly the highest appreciated display in visitor surveys (all age groups, genders etc). When the History Department of the WAM was taken over by the "new breed" of curators mid 80's, the display was viewed by them as "boy's toys" and "death machines" and was finally removed to storage. Consequently, only a dozen or so people have seen the collection in the last 20 years. One reason I compiled the "Japanese Swords and Fittings in the Western Australian Museum Collection" catalogue in 1989 was that I knew it would be the only way the interested public could ever access the collection, so, despite its faults, this catalogue is "all there is" now.

How great it would be if the WAM would allow access to the collection as an art display in the Art Gallery next door. Sadly, in Western Australia, the "new breed" thinking still holds sway! Great effort everyone...I can only dream of such enlightened progress!!!!

George TRotter.

Hi George The "new breed" of curator is also in Melbourne as a boy I was captivated by the Arms and Armour Collection its also gone

I would have thought the right thing to do is to show ALL the Museum Collections by rotation I remember one of the swords on display was donated to the Museum they must be turning in their graves its sad that people will not get the chance to see what

the past was like this is the age of the selective Museum it shows only what is politically correct Jim :thanks:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi George, Jim and all,

The success of the display at the Art Gallery of New South Wales is due to presenting swords as "Art", NOT weapons. Colin has been particularly adamant about this point and this is the recipe for success.

The evolution of the sword and samurai is understood by most but what most people do not know is that the Japanese sword is now viewed as "Art". This not only applies to the sword and fittings, but also the artisans, swordsmith, shirasaya maker, polisher etc, some of whom are living National Treasures. 'Art level' certificates issued to swords, some ranging into the 100's of thousands of $$. This is what makes people listen and brings the sword into a different sphere.

I don't want to debate these points in the interest of keeping the Art Gallery thread focused. But presenting the sword as 'Art' is paramount these days.

Mark

Hi Chishiki I too have come to believe that presenting them as art is the only was to save them. Do you know if there is a prospect

of the exhibition coming to Melbourne some day ? There must be collectors in Melbourne who would support a exhibition as a lot

us don't get to see a lot of good swords up close. Not just photos,also just to clarify when you are speaking about Art level certificates issued to swords, you mean NBTHK type papers ? A lot of the time It seems that price makes people have a look

then move on to the fact its art. Bravo to all,you have achieved much :clap: At some point I hope to see it thank you Jim :D

Hi Jim,

Most of these swords have previously been displayed at the Hamilton and Benalla Art Galleries in regional Victoria. You can see photos of them in this very thread. Of course a display in Melbourne is an objective but none of these things happen quickly and what we want has to fit with their direction. And presenting swords as Art is the only path to receiving recognition.

I am a regular visitor to the Art Gallery here in Melbourne and their display of Egyption, chinese etc artifacts has been there a long time, without change. It is has therefore become somewhat bland to my eyes. This shows a particular reluctance on their part for change. Colin makes a regular trip to Sydney to change the display, so regular admirers/visitors get to see something new.

I have sat and viewed the display at Sydney for long periods, and it is exceptionally popular. Colin has presented talks on 'why' the sword is viewed as Art. It is not an easy concept for some to get their mind around. It is about education.

The art papers I refer to are indeed the NBTHK papers,

Regards

Mark

Hi mark. Its amazing that Colin makes a regular trip to Sydney to change the display, but lives in Melbourne ? Please keep us informed

as to how its going in Sydney, and maybe someone in Melbourne will take note. It give all of us hope as you noted it is exceptionally popular. :D Regards Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder. Colin will be attending the Art Gallery to clean the swords on display. NMB members are invited to attend for a close viewing. Where else will you be able to see a Juyo Token Kuniyasu close up? This is a published sword in Japan, a rare sword. Do yourself a favour and go look.

Mark

The silence is deafening.

"Sadly, in Western Australia, the "new breed" thinking still holds sway! Great effort everyone...I can only dream of such enlightened progress!!!!

George TRotter."

George do you think that with the new Govt here in WA a petition of sorts could sway them to pressure the Museum to put the Nihonto on display?

They are not like the "pinko, whale hugging PC" crowd that left office.

Just a thought

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is a picture of Colin himself, admiring what was his 1st display at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, way back in 2001. The display was called 'Heroes and Villains from Japan's floating world. The display showed an array of ukiyo-e (pictures of the floating world) school, and the sword display. This was a great achievment here in Australia and for the sword world in general. This presentation of the Japanese Sword as Art, resulted in such popularity with all, that the display has been ongoing since about that time. Cudos to Colin and please forgive the clown in the background, yours truely.

Mark

post-1148-14196786868539_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

THIS IS A LIST OF NIHONTO AND TOSOGU THAT HAVE JUST REPLACED THE OLD

DISPLAY AT THE ART GALLERY OF NEW SOUTH WALES, COLIN MCDONALD

WILL BE THERE IN MARCH 2011 TO CHECK THE DISPLAY, IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED

IN A FIRST HAND VIEWING OR WISHES TO

ASK QUESTIONS COLIN WILL BE HAPPY TO PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT

THE PIECES ON DISPLAY.(DATE TO BE ADVISED)

TOP SHELF:- Left to right

1 MICHIMASA (MINATOGAWA JINJA TOSHO)

2 OZAKI SUKETAKA (SHINSHINTO)

3 MASAHIRO (SHODAI) (SHINTO)

MIDDLE SHELF:-

4 YAMATO-MINO SENCHUIN (KOTO)

5 KUNITOSHI

6 OZAKI MASATAKA (SHINSHINTO)

7 SATSUMA TADASHIGE (SHINTO)

BOTTOM SHELF:-

8 HAMANO (SCHOOL) (NIO MENUKI)

9 GOTO (SCHOOL) (SHISHI MENUKI)

10 WAKI GOTO (SCHOOL) (SHISHI MENUKI)

11 KAGA (FLYING CRANES) (KOZUKA)

12 GOTO TSU JINPO (TIGER&OGRE)(KOZUKA)

13 ISHIGURO ICHIJU (MON)(TSUBA)

14 HAMANO NAOYUKI (TIGER)(TSUBA)

15 JAKUSHI (CHINESE LANDSCAPE)(TSUBA)

16 JAKUSHI (DRAGONS)(FUCHI-GASHIRA)

17 HAMANO NAOYUKI (TIGER)(KOZUKA)

SIDE STAND:-

18 CHU-MIHARA (TACHI) (KOTO)

ITOMAKI-TACHI-GOSHIRAE (MEIJI)

• 3 months later...

During the shinsa Colin will make himself available at the display to talk to interested members. A date and time will be posted later. This will be a great chance for members to discuss the swords and fittings. Items on view will be as listed above. Regards Mark

G'day all,

For those of you organizing to come to the Sydney Taikai and NTHK Shinsa in September you may also want to make the time to see the display at the Art Gallery of NSW organized by Colin McDonald. It is always beautifully presented and of excellent quality. The Art Gallery is a pleasant 10 minute walk from the Metro Sydney Central hotel where the Shinsa is being held again this year. I will get in touch with Colin and see what his plans are for making a presentation during the weekend of the Shinsa so we don't have an overlap with our educational presentations. Hope we see many of you then.

regards,

Adrian Schlemmer

info@sydneytokenkai.com

• 4 months later...

On Friday the 9th of September at 1pm Colin will be at the Art Gallery to give a talk about the items on display. Hope to see you there.

I have attached some pics and have many more. For Members unable to attend who would like to see an item in more detail please ask. There is a list above this entry of items on display.

Regards

Mark

post-1148-14196811171973_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196811177581_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196811182902_thumb.jpg

post-1148-1419681118814_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196811192904_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196811198131_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've looked through this post several times since it was started and every time I'm amazed by the high quality koshirae. Are most of them newly put together?

Wish I could visit in person... unfortunitly I live on the opposite side of the planet :(

There's not much going on for nihonto enthusiasts in Georgia. Big surprise, huh...

Thanks for all the good pics and info. You guys keep up the good work.

Hi Adam, thanks for the compliment. it's appreciated.

The Koshirae displayed are original, although some have had repairs. The way they are displayed is important, Colin custom makes a stand for each item you see. Presentation and attention to detail really make the display look 1st class and lastly all the items have to meet a certain standard.

Regards

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..