• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi. Well we have installed another display here in Melbourne. It is a small display but nice swords and fittings are there for the publics enjoyement. I will attached more detailed photos and descriptions of what’s on display later. Again Colin has done a great job.

Interestingly the display is at the Box Hill Returned Servicemas League or RSL. They are a progressive club and are interested in Swords As Art theme. Melbourne collectors go and check it out. As with all such clubs you need to sign in. It has a nice restaurant attached too, so maybe you can include lunch.

Colin or I would be happy to meet any members of the message board at the RSL to discuss the display. Cheers

https://g.co/kgs/gxgK75post-691-0-48433200-1539303135_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-53003400-1539303153_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-11258900-1539303173_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-40431600-1539303204_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-44853400-1539303224_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-49795600-1539303240_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-72463800-1539303261_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-63905900-1539303308_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-14079400-1539303335_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Hi Curran. Your compliments are always appreciated. Only after a couple of days this display is a huge hit, the feedback has been great. This will run for about 4 months. Why not come to Melbourne for a holiday? The hospitality will be 1st class.

If the house sells, I will.

I'd swim there, if it would move things forward.

Mark if that suits yourself and others I would do my best to try and make it down for that. I need to reschedule work and talk to a friend and some family I would be visiting to get all done in one trip so hopefully we can work out if thats the best time for you and others soon. Very much lookinb forward to seeing this and medting any Nmb members also.

Greg

Mark if that suits yourself and others I would do my best to try and make it down for that. I need to reschedule work and talk to a friend and some family I would be visiting to get all done in one trip so hopefully we can work out if thats the best time for you and others soon. Very much lookinb forward to seeing this and medting any Nmb members also.

Greg

. The display is 4months, if you can’t make it on the 4th then I can meet you any other time. I am fairly flexible. I will leave it the 4th. 2pm. Let me know closer to the day if you can make it. Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On Sunday I finally made my way to Melbourne to see this beautiful display and it was well worth it. The blades and fittings are amazing in person and some of the koshirae was just as pleasurable to see.

Thank you Colin and Mark for setting up such a great display.

It was such an honor to meet everyone and thank you for making me and my daughter feel so welcome. I very much look forward to the next time I spend time with this wonderful group.

Also a huge thank you to Bazza for recommending this to me and the introductions.

Greg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mark, what a great job you have done with publicising this Well done mate

Not to mention the driving force Collin well done and when is it coming back to Sydney.?

Cheers Alan.

Hi Alan, thanks for the compliment. Our association with the Art Gallery of NSW and NGV has been very fulfilling. Not sure when/if things will happen again. Interesting that the Samurai arms and armour have been the most popular exhibits over the years. They should do it again while us old time collectors are still around.......and sane. Will keep in touch with you.

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The kabuto with the water ladle is certainly very cool. I would assume it belonged to a student of the way of Tea. Please correct me if I'm confusing the term but (iirc.), it is called a hishaku. Traditionally made from bamboo and used in the Tea ceremony.

Hishaku are used to scoop boiling water from the kettle and cold water from the mizusashi (water pot), to the kettle, keeping it atleast half full.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At the Consul General's request we installed two armours at their private residence to assist in celebrating key dates, namely the new year and the upcoming Emperor's birthday.   We will leave these installed until the end of February.   We are extremely happy to facilitate their request, they are exceptionally nice people and art and antique lovers.   Mark.

FYI, armour on right is early Edo period ans the left is mid Edo.

Resizer_16746067427861.jpg

• Like 8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..