Photos and Video from San Francisco Token-Kai 2021

I'm home now after my first sword show at the San Francisco Token-Kai. I had an incredible time, learned so much, made a few purchases, met some great people, and can't wait to attend another show. For those that missed it, here's a few photos and a video I took of the event. My camera is just an older iPhone, so I imagine there are better photos out there, but here's what I've got.

Me up and ready bright and early for the day. My wife tagged along for the morning, but I was left free rein for the afternoon :)

IMG_3345.thumb.JPG.9dd1a7dacba25bfb19712efab748cd02.JPG

TK1.thumb.JPG.ecf022339676b5e152d75dd934923ca0.JPG

I went back and looked at this BEAUTIFUL sword several times. A Hizento by the second generation, the owner had just completed a daisho by the first generation Tadayoshi and was selling this example from the same school:

TK2.thumb.JPG.6bc0e5e1f339ce6da34178d33e83d550.JPG

TK3.thumb.JPG.83397e9d4b519a12df2066f3cdca0db8.JPG

TK4.thumb.JPG.58e8f341dbead9bba0ca5cd14029a636.JPG

One of the best attendees was this little friend:

TK5.thumb.JPG.8f8e138830ecc2d895bc996b9bd7ff7c.JPG

A MASSIVE o-dachi:

TK6.thumb.JPG.514a59a4a24ef70306e5afee1f481d98.JPG

TK7.thumb.JPG.1a8fa16dead9e1442206fcd5e774ec3e.JPG

A Yoroi-dōshi (edited for spelling, thanks Piers D!). I had been hoping to see one!

TK8.JPG

TK9.JPG

TK10.JPG

TK11.JPG

Ha ha ha, I'm not quite sure about the science here, but a great way to build community, and the dealer was incredibly nice!

TK12.JPG

Very few kyu gunto present. I had been hoping to study more, but honestly, I think there were perhaps 3 total.

TK13.JPG

Of course, I was foolish and didn't get a good photo of this display, which was several Juyo works, and the most expensive was $175,000. Beautiful!!

TK14.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Here's the shot of my loot upon getting home! I need to properly take photos and kantai the two katana I purchased, so those will be in the "Nihonto" sub-forum sometime in the next month.

TK15.thumb.JPG.65d5f7beba2688b28e2564880aba921b.JPG

And finally is the short walkaround video I took. I didn't want to be too obtrusive, so it's probably about a third of the booths and really just a glancing view of most. But fun to see everyone!

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

May i ask who was supplying the mouth sanitizer? I have a good guess but dont want to say his name n be wrong.

Shoot, sorry, but I didn’t catch his name. It looks like he’s a regular though; his booth and back of his head (presumably) is in this 2016 video at 1:41, and he’s got Maker’s Mark then too:

. Like I said, really nice gentleman.

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments! It was just so FUN to hold things in hand and actually talk with people about this niche topic in person. 

11 hours ago, Tom Darling said:

Michael,  congratulations you've got a new job, video all the Shows, best I've seen in a longtime.  Very much appreciated.  Good hunting. I also love your kitty.

Thanks @Tom Darling! I’m not sure when the next show I’ll get to attend will be, but I’m positive it’ll happen some time. 

Our cat is pretty great :) We got him when we lived in Japan. He’s naughty and kind of dim sometimes, but we love him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..