Help translating signature

Kaeichi

Mainly curious what it says, fake or not. Was given to me around 30 years ago and always wondered what it had written.

Definitely not easy to translate myself. But fun finding out what says. It'll probably hang from my wall for another 30 years no matter.

I do thank you for helping. The second Kanji does look close but missing strokes. The others certainly are pretty close. Interesting to see what others think on possible translation. 

I don't think it is any better than any of the poor ones. Habaki looks like the typical repro, top of the nakago looks awful.
I think an island-made sword is your best possible outcome here. Otherwise it's an outright fake.

The whole thing has been poisoned by the saturation of the market by fake profiteers.  We know for a fact that there were swords made for PETA forces.  We know for a fact that there were Java swords.  We even know for a fact that at least 1 POW was making swords for the Japanese in a remote location.  The problem is compounded by the fact that we have no documentation (if there ever was any) stating any mil specs for these occupation forces swords......  Sooo, we are left with speculation.

Each one is left to the opinion of the owner.  So Stephen, you have to weigh the evidence and make your own call on it.  If you search NMB for "Java" or "occupied lands" or "island sword" you will find many such discussion with lots of examples to compare.

And just looking for friendly discussion. Have had this piece for years and overall authenticity isn't really an issue since just a piece I do not aspire to sell.

So welcome to discuss without qualms about origin. If was authentic or an island sword, just interested in views on it. Was given to me 30 some years ago so not like I'm out any cash either way and still fun item to hang from wall

Thanks for the added photos  Stephen.  The blade is made better than all fakes, and better than the majority of island swords, I personally think this is Indonesian made.  The ones we've seen in the past made for PETA and such don't try to closely emulate Japanese fittings like this, and to be honest, I've unusually leaned toward "fake" when they do.  But this one looks, to me, to have real age and intent, so maybe it was made for a Japanese, late in the war, "over there."  But I'm WAY off into speculation-land and will recommend the readings and searches mentioned above.  No one will ever be able to answer the question, so just enjoy it!  I would.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..