No markings at all

I thought the same thing Stephen, but I also thought along Bruce's line of yellow cord.  Why copy a sword and put an different than standard wrap colour on it.   Thanks..

These are the measurements given.

Dimensions in cm (allow +-2mm)
Nagako with Habaki 25.5
Nagasa 62.5
Kissaki 2.5
Ha-machi 3
Tsuba 24.5
Saya 68.5

Edited by Johnbull
Update

this is modern junk, with some extra parts slapped on it to fool peaple. 

what pisses me off, is peaple keep trying to comfirm this as a genuine ww2 relic. 

there is no real age or patina to the steel or evan the tang to indicate this EVER spend a year in the tropics. 

the same hasnt evan sent onto the handle. no sign of mekugi holes or placement.  

the idea of them getting Japanese parts, and fill in the gapes with 'SO CALLED" island parts. pffft please.  these are at every gunshow in town prior to covid. FAKE FAKE FAKE.

• Thanks 1

oh so now you have such a good eye you can deduce the natural origins of a fake too?? 

so discounting all the other 3rd world countries that mass produce fakes, what wonderious traits point this item to 

"Probably is Indonesian copy of a Japanese sword."????

i think the term Bubulum stercus is what your talking

• Downvote 3

Why such thin skins. You pontificate like a robustly educated and experienced connoisseurs but are allergic to criticism.

I wasn't aggressive or rude. I take responsibility for what i write BUT not how you interpret it. Its Latin, there's nothing offensive in Latin

I have had my some of my  opinions called bullshit by 3  members here. 2 of which I still email regularly. I don't cry into my pillow afterwards. Its there right to voice there's. All my observations are based on sound observation and 2 decades of collective study and collecting. 

Hamish,
Do you even have an idea of how obnoxious and rude you are being?
It's one thing to have an opinion and express it, but NO-ONE is going to listen to it coming in such a rude and insulting manner.
I allowed you some leeway. That is now gone. Take a posting break for a week compliments of the warning system. I cannot believe that Stephen was so restrained. You could take a leaf out of his book.
You are well entitled to your opinion. It may even be valid. But learn how to express that opinion without insulting members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean this respectfully but the Nakago looks very odd even by Showato standards, also looks like a patina was forced on. I do see some gunto parts albeit in bad state.

Was it common for gunto replacements forged in occupied countries to have those odd quirks? And why would they use type 98 fittings instead of cheaper late war fittings?  

More a question than a statement, I wholeheartedly admit I know too little about gunto, even if I am trying to read up on them nowadays.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..