EARLY-MID EDO PERIOD HEIANJO TSUBA

roger dundas

Re "Momoyama period Heianjo Tsuba"          To misquote Crocodile Dundee -- Now that's not a Tsuba !  This is a Tsuba !

NMB members might be familiar with this piece as it appears in Gary Murtha's book : "Japanese Sword Guards-Family Crests- The Art of Mon"..

Large in diameter and thickness, well inlaid in mostly brass, some silver . The inlay craftsman also inlaying the mimi which again is a nice feature. All in very good order.  83 x 82 x 5 mm.

Thought you might to see it again ?

Roger j

Big boy 1 (2).jpg

Big boy 2 (2).jpg

Big boy 3 (2).jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Very Nice Roger,

I was saying to Dale (Spartancrest) the other day, that I am surprised Gary Murtha's guards which he has advertised are still available. They are good interesting examples, priced reasonably and are "published".

That's a bit of a triple whammy. 

With some foresight, his guards could be well sort after in the not too distant future

edit: and for the record, I have just secured one that I have been very interested in for a long time

• Like 2

A very relevant thought Stephen, so many of Gary Murtha's tsuba are great examples of the genre and what an opportunity to get one . And interesting to see that you think that they are reasonably priced - I had thought the same but it is good to get your opinion.

He might now be tempted to put them up a bit ? Ha Ha as they say.

Anyway, I am very pleased to have had the chance to get one. At my late stage in collecting and life, I am more then pleased.

And thank all you NMB contributers once again.

Roger j

• Like 2

Generally I say everything is relative when it comes to money and the value of something. However, for us Aussies and Canadians, the US dollar value skews things. At a US dollar price, I'd say they are a bargain, at our dollar worth? Just reasonably priced.

But to bring this thread back, I really like the different metals used in the inlays (I count three?), also the fact their position alternates between faces. I am generally a huge fan of inlay on the mimi. Wonderful guard, Congratulations on a great addition 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steves87 said:

I am surprised Gary Murtha's guards which he has advertised are still available

Hi Steve.  Where are they available?   I haven't seen them on ebay for a while.  He did have a very nice collection of Heianjo, Onin and Yoshiro tsuba.  

Talking about prices and values Steves87, with such phenomenally low interest rates here in Australia plus a gigantic National debt (only a very few years back we virtually had none), I thought Gary Murtha's pricing to be very fair (just my opinion and not a paid ad). Plus- if I don't get this one, where do I get another like it?

But like all collectors find, sometimes something better does come along and you have already "shot your bolt, spent your money".

Anyway, money and economics aren't my strong point ( amongst a raft of other weaknesses ) but will we see inflation, the printing of money  in an attempt at watering down the Western world's debt ?.

Roger j

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waljamada said:

I'm tempted to pick one up but kind of want to buy his book first to see if the ones I like are in there.

I wonder if Mr. Murtha also likes the Beatles...

He will state if it is in his book in the product description, most are in a book, but there are a few that are not

My pleasure Ken.   I bought all of my favorites from him on ebay when he first started selling them.   I picked out groups, contacted him directly and bought them from him at a group price.   I bought a lot of his books too, to be sure that I have a copy of the book for each tsuba pictured in the book(s).   I really like nearly all of them.   Especially the early Heianjo have both power and appealing art, at least to my taste.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It may be that he sold them out in a group.  Is his Beatles memorabilia still listed?   The other alternative, which is less positive, is that his health problems, which prompted the sale, may have worsened.  I certainly hope that Gary is doing well and send him best wishes if he is reading this.  

I would like to give Gary a plug [promote] for his latest book which has just been listed- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/403359851899

He has some great examples, some of which have been published before and more never before seen. [I am glad he didn't call it a beginners guide :) - it looks more for the experienced collector and I hope it does well for him]

image.png.e39c4ed99241dd7098d207bcb2cfd1f1.png

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..