Help identifying a sword

Ghostchanter

Hi there. Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I'm wanting some assistance identifying a sword I got as a child from the head of my karate organisation. He was a 7th Dan, exceptionally well renowned person and I have no idea of the history of the sword, other than I remember him saying it was from his own collection. Given who he was, I have no reason that believe it's not genuine, but I would love to know its potential origin, is it mass produced/a copy etc. I have no intention of selling this unless it happens that be worth an significant amount (which I personally think is unlikely).

I've never held a real quality sword before so it's hard for me to describe the texture, but if anyone wants to get on Skype/Discord or something to ask questions and have a look I'm sure I can arrange that. 

The biggest issue I'm having is there is no clear way to dismantle the blade (I believe there's usually a little latch on most katana) as all of the grip is some kind of bone/ivory/imitation. The scabbard itself is my biggest worry of it being something cheap, as the bottom feels very plastic like, and some of the swords decoration feel rather flimsy too. 

Thank you in advance for any help and advice offered. I've always been fascinated by Japanese culture and swords, so it would be nice to learn something about the only one I own :)

Gary

IMG_20210430_152444.jpg

IMG_20210430_152506.jpg

IMG_20210430_152540.jpg

IMG_20210430_152501.jpg

No latch, but traditionally made katana always have a peg (mekugi) that is found between the silk braids of the handle. This one appears to have some kind of bone tsuka (handle) and the fittings appear to be modern brass.

However, that doesn't mean he didn't have a real blade put in mounts like this (but it is unlikely).. for it to be properly discerned, we need to see a few detailed pictures:

blade blade, tip to tip

closeup of the tang (nakago)

closeup of the kissaki (pointy end)

closeup of any activity in the cutting edge (hamon)

My personal opinion is that this is a modern-made blade and he had it custom-ordered per his tastes. There are modern producers that allow you to pick from a myriad of options they offer. I would gently check with a magnet to see if this is magnetic. I can see what appear to be dark-peaks in the hamon which means oil-quenched. It could also be a showato (WWII-era oil quenched/non-traditional blade). But I would wait and see what others have to say before taking anything I say as fact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..