Truman library sword

Not going to defend how it was handled. But from the photos available of it today, it appears to be in fine shape. So someone made sure it was kept carefully or its been restored.

May I ask what you are trying to infer? It was a gift to Krueger. He then gave it to his commanding officer at the end of the war. Presentations like this were commonplace and considered a sign of respect. This has been a practice for centuries. If you think that giving a memento to a higher ranked individual after a hard-fought war or battle is kissing ass, then what is appropriate?

Gift-giving to higher rank individuals is also VERY common and even expected in Japan. It was common for lords of any status to give other lords a gift of a Japanese blade or fittings when visiting. Sometimes the practice dictated a VERY nice blade with a very big name. Many times high-end Soshu pieces were given as gifts (who is to say how many?).

Edit: response tempered! :)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, Peter Bleed said:

Wasn't there a story a while ago about this sword having been stolen from the display?

Peter

Yep, it's been a long time since I read about this. From what I remember the swords were all switched out for commons. Happens a lot at museums . 

On 8/13/2021 at 7:19 PM, Stephen said:

In case im not around later his contact info.

When they do open later i may plan a trip to the museum. I would welcome anyone in the area to accompany me but remember we can only look we can't touch. 

Good Evening Mr. Christianson,

Attached below is some of the information you asked about during our telephone conversation.  Once we get back into the Library on a regular basis, I can look into photographing the tang and getting a better image of the hamon.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

John Miller

Museum Registrar

Harry S. Truman Presidential Library

500 W. US Highway 24

Independence, MO 64050-1798

816-268-8204

I emailed him with no response; I wonder if he is even still around!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..