Stained blade Gunto

Kolekt-To

I have this Gunto, and a couple more, that have a few of these stains on the blade. I believe these stains are quite common, but what, if anything, can or should be done about them? What are they? How do they form? Should they be removed, or left alone? Photos attached.

Stained Blade Gunto1.jpg

Blade stains_close up.jpg

11 hours ago, b.hennick said:

Have you tried alcohol, acetone or benzene? The last two are not good for you. Use then out doors.

Thanks Barry! I haven't tried any of those chemicals on this blade or the other blades with these type of stains. I think I would begin with alcohol, then try the others if that didn't work. 

9 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I’ve never had stains that big, but I have plenty of black permanent stains on some of my blades. I haven’t found anything to get it out. Maybe yours is on the surface?

Bruce, they do appear surface level, so maybe they can be safely removed without risk of damaging the blade. I may consult with my mentor when he returns from Token Kai this week.

Use this, totally non-abrasive, solvent impregnated wadding. Won't scratch, great for removing surface stains. Recommended to me by a prominent sword collector, and I have recomended it to others. May take a bit of rubbing, but works on stains!  

a6.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/9/2021 at 5:11 PM, lambo35 said:

Possibly a tape [scotch tape] residue stain? Can you "feel it"

Chuck.

No, I can't feel the stains. The polish arrived today. Maybe I'll try a very small amount of paint thinner to a small area of the stain, just to test that method. If no results, then I'll go to the polish. If I do get results with the thinner, I'll follow up with the polish. I'll post my results when finished. 

I believe I got better results by using Acetone first. The greatest reduction in staining was achieved by repeatedly rubbing with an Acetone-soaked cloth. I followed up by repeatedly rubbing with Never Dull. I'm not completely satisfied because I desired 90-100% of the stains removed, however much progress was made on two of the three stains. That third stain was tough and I wasn't able to reduce it much - it's small, but quite visible. I'll just have to be satisfied with the results achieved. The blade does look better now. Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Reduced stain 1.jpg

Reduced stain 2.jpg

Reduced stain 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..