Help with this mei and school

shakudo

Hello one and all, have come across this and am finding trouble sourcing a mei fo ( Im told?!)

Goto Keijo ( Mitsumori) 1739 - 1804) have searched the Board but to no avail.

Anyone have a mei for this Goto?

Opinions welcomed and desired if possible. 

Many thanks for any assistance,

Regards Mike

20210808_152812.jpg

20210808_150348.jpg

Dear Mike, I think that you may be mixing the two different Goto Keijo.  They used different kanji.  Yours is 慶乗 (as Steve pointed out) who was the 2nd Master of the Genbei Line of Goto.  The other is 桂乗 who was the 14th Master of the Main Line Goto.  You mentioned "Mitsumori" and dates of 1739 - 1804 (that's the other guy), but your guy is "Mitsunori" with dates of 1651-1692.  Your guy worked in Kyoto and the other guy worked in Edo.  Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Dear George,

Many thanks for that- thought there maybe a different line and this maybe one of them. Interesting its earlier- using info supplied unfortunately and its not papered obviously. Dont suppose you have a mei at all?

Thanks once again.

Mike

Dear Mike, sorry, I don't have that mei (I checked my Wakayama and Sesko).  Your guy is Haynes #03083 and he says your mei is in a different Wakayama (Toso Kinko Jiten) at W-117-L-7 .  Perhaps someone here has that book and can help or you can track it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi members,

Thanks to George, Steve and Barrie for their input on this tsuba mei. As I have not had any further responses with regard to samples of mei for Mitsunori 1651- 1692 (2nd master of the Genbei Goto line) I must assume that I will have to send to Shinsa. Thanks again for all who responded and to those who visited .Tsuba has landed so can now forward pics if your interested. 

Regards Mike.

Hi Grev,  sorry for late reply. So Tadayoshi- mei or mumei? The tsuba has mei so either shoshin or gimei! I know some collectors who only go for mumei- cant be gimei but have seen blades with 3 different appraisals- I have one with 2- may put it up again and see!

Cheers 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..