Can you help translate the Mei please

Erwin

Hi all

I came across this Gunto but the balde has no arsenal stamp and might be crafted pre-war

Can someone help in translating the signature please 

your help is much appreciated, thank you

best regards

ErwinDD5212D0-8712-4E7B-8FFA-1FAC08595649.thumb.jpeg.f2824d8383dea9e2fb16253462aa11ba.jpeg

0AD62D33-793E-4BB1-80FB-42F8FD5EE6C7.jpeg

Hi Chris,

that is indeed an absolute concern and you are absolutely right on the state of the nakago

below a few pictures of the hamon which looks pronounced

thank you for your feedback, highly appreciated

best regards

Erwin

11F2EC6A-D21A-46CA-964C-560404EFB6E0.jpeg

A92D15BA-DF8E-4FFB-8D0D-B45296BB5A05.jpeg

Can we get a view of the entire blade taken straight on? So we can see the overall shape (sugata). It looks like it has a fairly weak sori (curvature).

Also, the hamon looks fairly interesting. My impression is that the blade is traditionally made and likely late Edo.

A picture like this would be helpful:

brw5.JPG

• Like 1

Well, my guess is that the blade is also original length.  But my opinion is probably also ill-informed. The mei looks chippy and being that it is only two-kanji is either gimei or from a lesser-known smith. Someone has recently cleaned the nakago and thus stripped the patina and a powerful tool for informing us of the proper age. So we're left with the signature and sugata to hazard a guess.

I believe it is at the very least traditionally made judging from the workmanship in the hamon and what little patina remains in the nakago. It lacks the characteristic dark peaks in the hamon that an oil-quench has.

I could also be entirely wrong. I would wait on board members that have more experience than I and can offer you a translation. Especially if this is something you are considering purchasing.

Thank you Chris for all the time and  spend on this.

always amazed by the enormous pool of knowledge in this group and the willingness to help, so thank you

Indeed, the sword is offered for purchasing and ai am still looking for a family blade refurbished for the WO2 but certainly not desperate on this . Time enough

i am also looking at what seems to be a 17 century blade in WOll mountings which is interesting. That apparently is a Tachi version in WOll gunto mounting but bares no signature to be sure. Anyhow, more to study on

have a great day and thank you again

Erwin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..