Films featuring Japanese swords

Kolekt-To

18 hours ago, Dave R said:

Even with this accidents happen,

Not surprising.  It is interesting to hear that they are actually using CGI to put the blades into the shot now.  Incredible!  Not to get off-track, but I'm appalled that studios still use actual guns on sets.  I cannot imagine the necessity for that.  Even if they want shots with blanks fired, that shot should be taken on a firing range with no one else around.  Dumb.

• Like 1

I have the DVD of "Azumi" and they had a "omake" at the end about scenes and production where they explained the trick with the no blade sword. It's how they got the shots where she does some serious cutting where the blade looks to pass through the various targets.... including very thick wooden supports  for a watchtower.

One of my favourite films..... ah, cute girls with swords, what's not to like!

azumi.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, Dave R said:

Even with this accidents happen, Sandahl Bergman lost a finger to a fibreglass sword in Conan, because the wrong sword went on set, it was supposed to be a safe rubber blade.

Because no stunt women could be found to match her size, she learned to do all her own stunt work. She commented on the experience, "It was tough. I nearly lost a finger. Arnold smashed his head against a rock. But that was nothing compared to what the stunt men went through."

Sandahl Bergman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

Back in the day news reports claimed she had lost a couple of fingers, now known to be  exaggerated, or perhaps just a little "predictive" and surgery was more successful than expected..... Point is even prop swords can injure.

Personal experience, doing a short promo for a local TV station my "Uke" was a little too enthusiastic and broke one of my fingers, so hard a hit it burst the seams of my buckskin glove and spurted blood! What pi55ed me off was that I had told him he was  scripted to be the victor and so had no need to try too hard, but he wanted to show off to the camera..... Well he did that, shooting ended early, the crew were NOT impressed in the way he thought they would be, and I never gave him any more work.

• Wow 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Not to get off-track, but I'm appalled that studios still use actual guns on sets.  I cannot imagine the necessity for that.

A lot of conversation about that incident on the set of "Rust"! A film done on the cheap, and an almost inevitable result.... And no, it's not a necessity, some directors have not used real guns since the start of the century.

-13 Assassins (Amazon Prime)

-The Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan (nutflix) - not a movie, but lots of armor and arms.

-Shogun (TV mini series). Fun fact, I think they are going to be remaking this movie to better reflect the content of the novel. The original was good, but had to omit a lot due to budget and format constraints. 

• Like 1

"Love and Monsters" has one of the main characters carry around a gunto in a post apocalyptic world full of dangers and monsters.

Second movie "Gehenna Where Death Lives" is kind of a found footage horror film about a small group in modern day that go into an old WW2 Japanese bunker to discover its a horrific trap with a cool twist at the end. At some point they run into a Japanese soldier still there and flashbacks to when the Japanese soldiers were also originally trapped there.  I'm not positive there's a gunto but I remember a knife or maybe sword scene that would've been some sort of WW2 edged weapon.

SmartSelect_20220411-182817_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20220411-183229_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20220411-183209_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20220411-182927_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

'The Railway Man' . The two main characters played by Colin Firth and Hiroyuki Sanada.  The actual soldiers being Lt. Eric Lomax and IJN Officer and Interpreter(for Kempeitai) Takashi Nagase.

I grabbed a quick picture of the final frame from the movie. Just found it interesting (but not in a flippant way).

20220304_165350.jpg

20220304_165428.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just spotted a new one.  HBO's new "House of the Dragon".  Toward the end of Episode 1, the king cuts his finger on one of the swords that make up the Iron Throne.  When they pan down to it, it is a Japanese sword!!! Ha!  This picture is distorted, but in the full motion scene, you can see it has a proper kissaki and yakote.

IMG_4204.thumb.jpg.b2d34354271e5e0642e09acd4b7e4c87.jpgIMG_4205.thumb.jpg.7a8df1a3bc6db864fec010efb726cec9.jpg

• Wow 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..