my first yari

MovieFactoryYT

Hi everyone,

recently i bought my first yari from e sword and it arrived yesterday.

its attributed to kawachi no kami nonju kanesada its related to the yamato tegai kanenaga den and that was the main reason i got it since i really like that style.

Its a small yari head which is only barely longer than 12 cm.

What are your opinions on it?

was it worth the price of 200K yen?

i basically have no expirience with yari

(sorry for the bad pics, i currently dont have my DSLR)

IMG_20210804_151616-min.thumb.jpg.818712c0a5710008f10094d011a20d04.jpg

IMG_20210804_151842-min.thumb.jpg.24de496d4c89d2519105920ed1355229.jpg

IMG_20210804_151651-min.thumb.jpg.6ff1f1154825521dbf214fcc81a5790b.jpg

Regards,

Simon

I hope you will not take my response the wrong way because I really do mean to help answer your questions… but it is important to focus on you and your decision to purchase this blade… so here it goes…

Q: its related to the yamato tegai kanenaga den and that was the main reason i got it since i really like that style.

A:  Does it match the style you like in the way you like?  Is it a good ‘textbook example’ of what you like about that style?  If so, you have met your collecting goal.  If you’re not sure and only went by what the blade was attributed to, then you might need to study a little more so you can select a blade based on attribute vs. simple smith recognition.

Q: What are your opinions on it?

A: Our opinion really doesn’t matter.  Do YOU like it?  I hope so.  What is YOUR opinion of it?… THAT is what is really important.  Honestly, you will hear advice that ranges anywhere from “nice purchase”, to “you should have saved your money and bought a juyo level piece” and everything in between. What I am trying to say is, if YOU like it, and can learn from it, or you simple enjoy it, then that is enough.  OR  are you asking our opinion of whether the attribution is correct?  

Q: Was it worth the price of 200K yen?

A: Sure it was… to you.  If you had the money, feel you paid a good price, and like what you bought then that is enough.  And really, that horse is already out of the barn.  

I guess after all this, I wonder… are you having second thoughts?  I hope not.  I would rather see you enjoy your new purchase.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I don't think that there's anything to not like there - a signed and papered blade (I assume) by a recognised smith in a nice looking koshirae. Looking at the koshirae, it is a te or makura yari designed to be kept by ones bed or in a palanquin for use in emergencies and, consequently, the length of the blade is made to match that use so it is likely to be on the short side but Japanese spear blades in general tend to be on the short side so nothing unusual there.

As to "was it worth the price?", you bought it from Japan, so you probably paid more than you would have done for a similar item in Europe or sold on NMB.

8 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

Looking at the koshirae, it is a te or makura yari designed to be kept by ones bed or in a palanquin for use in emergencies and, consequently, the length of the blade is made to match that use so it is likely to be on the short side but Japanese spear blades in general tend to be on the short side so nothing unusual there.

It is always possible (and highly likely) that the pole has been shortened and the ishizuki fitted at the cut off end. Costs of shipping for objects longer than 1.5m are prohibitively high, so the Japanese dealers just cut the pole down when shipping overseas. Which is a shame, but what can you do...

Was it worth JPY200k? A nice blade papered, polished and in koshirae (even a shortened one)? I would say you have paid the full price, but I would also say it was reasonable. Enjoy your little beauty!

Thanks for all the replies, ill try to answer them all.

Mark, yes it fits the style well and i like it. its a small blade so the details are hard to see but its aesthetics work really well with the wakizashi i have (same school). with the last question i meant the monetary value. you can like a thing all you want but overpaying never is good.

Jean, yes, i am not native in the english language so i just assumed it is the same. it is NBTHK Hozon papered.

John, thats good to know.

Jacques, thats a nice looking yari head. i like it.

Marius, i will keep that in mind and maybe ask the seller if he shortened it.

All in all im happy with my purchase and it fits well into my collection

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MovieFactoryYT said:

Mark, yes it fits the style well and i like it. its a small blade so the details are hard to see but its aesthetics work really well with the wakizashi i have (same school). with the last question i meant the monetary value. you can like a thing all you want but overpaying never is good.

Then I think you did quite well!  Probably market value range, especially because it is already papered.  If you had to add in the cost of Shinsa or polish, then I would say you might have overpaid.  Looks good.:)

First Yari train!  Congrats, love the mounts.  A complete set, signed papered, poll arm and blade cover...beautiful thing to have.  Bought my first one a few months the back at the Chicago Sword Show and still haven't figured out quite where to put it.  Right now have it against the fireplace until I find it a proper place.   Also made me want a naginata.....

IMG_20210503_204717_820.jpg

Good points made. It's all quite subjectional and even the papers don't stand for absolute fact but a well reasoned and educated attribution or confirmation of a signature.

For me, love yari. If you're not stretched out financially the price isn't bad. I hope you enjoy your purchase but also rekindling the hunger for more information.  I spend probably way more time reading than the average member here about all things related, and I still know just slightly above zero. My first and so far only acquisition really got the study going.

At some point I'm going to have a yari.. PS some close ups of to share?

Simon,

All-in-all I think you've done well.  Authentic object with an original nakago not cut down, paper, koshirae and shipped from Japan without objection from the carrier.  Well done.

Two things:

- it's MONJU not NONJU

- the koshirae may be modern - BUT - its a very good piece of work

Lastly, I can't recall a nakago jiri sliced off at an angle like this one. Anybody have a clue about this???

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..