Shin Gunto verification of translation.

Cire69

Hello! I've done my best to translate the writing on the tang of my recently purchased Shin Gunto type 98.  For a double check, since this is my 1st time trying to decipher kanji any confirmation would be welcome.

It appears there is a SEKI stamp at the top, a kokuin saying Ozawa Kanehisa and I believe the signature to read, Ozawa Kanehisa Saku...but I'm not 100% sure I got everything on that translation.

Does anyone have any information on Ozawa Kanehisa? I know this blade is non-traditional but has anyone heard of his style of blade maxing....I assume western steel and oil quenched.  If anyone has any insights I would love to hear them.

This is for my personal collection and I do not plan on reselling it.

Thank you!

0803211346.jpg

0803211345a.jpg

0803211345b.jpg

0803211327.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all for your time and input.  I have put together a few other pictures. I will apologize in advance for the pictures of the blade, my lighting does not show the detail I had hoped. I purchased the gunto without a Tsuka. I was very surprised by the patina on the tang and that there was still painting on it since it didnt come with one (tsuka).

The blade is not is great polish but doesn't have too much deap pitting from rush. I most likely will never have it polished, I'm ok with it's imperfections and care more about its origin story...so to speak.

Thank you all!

Eric

0803211326.jpg

0803211951.jpg

0803211950.jpg

On 8/3/2021 at 5:25 PM, mecox said:

Is there some record for this correct pronunciation as "Osawa"?

Mal, this is the only pronunciation that I am aware of.

大澤 = 大沢 = Ōsawa.

I mainly use O'Neill's book for translating names.  Details below.

O’Neill, P. G. Japanese Names: A Comprehensive Index by Characters and Readings. New York: Weatherhill, 1972.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, Kiipu said:

Mal, this is the only pronunciation that I am aware of.

大澤 = 大沢 = Ōsawa.

@mecox I found another pronunciation for 大澤.  It is coming from a website that I have only recently started using.  For this reason, I can not vouch for the accuracy of this site yet.  It gives two pronunciations for 大澤, Ōsawa or Ōzawa.

Japanese Kanji Name Dictionary (How to read Japanese name)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cire69 said:

Just what was on the one side of the tang and the paint/markings on the other....which I'm guessing is the remnants of a serial number?

Although faded toward the top, it looks like 887.

八八七 = 887

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..