Blade by Masahiro in Type 98 Shin-gunto Setting

tbonesullivan

Well, this is definitely not what I was expecting when I pulled the Tsuka off this blade. It does have a nice Hamon, and the fittings are higher grade, with a perforated Tsuba marked by GIFU 岐 Arsenal.  I've tried to get some good shots, especially of the Mei, which reads 肥 前 國 河 内 大 掾 藤 原 正 廣 - HIZEN KUNI KAWACHI DAIJO FUJIWARA MASAHIRO. I deal almost entirely with Showato, with a bit of Gendaito mixed in, so I'm a bit out of my depth here. The tang does have two holes, but is in very good shape for a blade that is supposed to be from the 17th or 18th century.

SOS50overall.jpg

SOS50sugata.jpg

SOS50mei.jpg

SOS50hamon.jpg

SOS50tang.jpg

SOS50mon.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Looks like a good find! Finally bitten by the nihonto bug?

Oh I've been bitten long ago. Getting to look at all the swords that pass through where I work is great. I haven't started a personal collection yet. Been waiting for "the one", though I have had my eyes on a papered Naginata for a while. Don't see those nearly as often. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..