Checking on Translation for WWII Kai-Gunto

I'm having a bit of trouble with the middle character on this one. I am fairly certain it is 兼 俊 作 - KANE TOSHI SAKU, but I have also considered 兼房 作 KANE FUSA SAKU. The "KANE" also looks a little strange, so that might be wrong as well.

Any help you could give would definitely be awesome! Thanks!

SOS223mei.jpg

3 hours ago, SteveM said:

兼波 Kanenami, I think. 

Thanks!!!

3 hours ago, mecox said:

Kanenami looks correct.  His mei has some variations though.   See article on Japanese Naval Swords in NMB Downloads, page 33+.

Oh thanks for that! Lookin at the second article, yeah his swords are signed a TON of different ways. That particular way of making the "KANE" character looks just like many of the examples in the article. 

Now I've gotta go look at a tang that is, as far as I can tell, Muromachi period blade in a Shin-Gunto setting. FUUUNNNNN.

Quoted from George Trotter

This Kanenami has been noted a good number of times in the last 20 years...always? in navy mounts. He usually signs simply in nijimei, but on occasion as I-NA-BA Kanenami = Inaba Kanenami. While fairly well known as a maker of showato as we have seen a few of his works...we can still say he is "unknown" as the modern gunto makers for the navy are nowhere near as well recorded as the makers of gunto for the army. I would say his family name is Inaba, but his personal name is unknown...probably worked within the Seki system.

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..