Bought my first Koshirae and Kozuka. Humble haul.

waljamada

My first foray into a lone koshirae and fittings and went out on a limb purchasing a Wakizashi koshirae (no tsuba and some missing inlays) because honestly I like the look of it and do have a blade that would be a great upgrade for it if all the stars align to have it fit.  A Google search didn't provide anything on Matsuyama Junin TOSHINOBU whom signed the koshirae.

I also ended up getting a Kozuka lot (one will just be a shelf or inside drawer decoration) to work towards completing some Koshirae I already have

I would classify these as "beginner" pieces, and you get what you pay for, but thought I'd share a humble little haul and of course always open to hear thoughts/feedback and if anyone knows the koshirae artist that would be amazing.

*the photos got uploaded in a weird order but koshirae description is in between kozuka images.

SmartSelect_20210731-224243_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210731-224258_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210731-225240_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210731-224328_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210731-224219_eBay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I knew that the logo of Mitsubishi had a deep historical footprint in Daimyo history as a Kamon. Little did I know that the Mercedes-Benz was once a Daimyo clan. It all comes together now :laughing:

Jokes aside it's looks to me like an honest Edo period koshirae with a consistent and well executed formal theme. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Like Brian, I quite like the koshirae. It’s a shame a couple of the kamon are missing, but the menuki look to be quite well made.

I checked the tosogu meikan, and whilst there is a Toshinobu (利信), the kao is different, and the Kikuoka school was based in Edo, whereas the maker of your fittings was a resident of Matsuyama (in Ehime prefecture, Shikoku). 

BE86CCB0-C87C-4BB8-9810-9631AFFCA13B.jpeg

First off gentleman thank you for your help identifying the maker!  Great to have his identity confirmed, again thank you SteveM and Kyushu.  I'll try and find other works by him if possible just to see what he was up to.

Valric, yeah during the mid 1800's Mercedes had a go at the luxury Carshirae market =|;^)

Alex, yeah the blade Im hoping it will fit has a tsuba that would clash with the more modern sleek design of that koshirae.  Already started looking up copper tsubas.

Thanks Brian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, waljamada said:

....during the mid 1800's Mercedes had a go at the luxury Carshirae market =|;^)....

Adam,

the first Benz car had been presented and driven in 1886. MERCEDES exists since 1926.

Our past is not really very long ago!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 11:58 PM, MichaelSeeley said:

Looks sharp! Did your wakizashi fit the koshirae, or will it just be for display? Always seems like a tricky proposition, marching a blade with a non-custom-made mounting.

My smallest blade did not fit it sadly, but th4 blade does already have a koshirae.  I think this one will just be used for display.  It's a great size for that and can be placed on a bookshelf with some elegence.  

On 8/17/2021 at 4:21 AM, waljamada said:

Found a simple tsuba I think matches.  Wanted to streamline some of the cleanliness of its simple design.

SmartSelect_20210816-131930_Gallery.jpg

G'day Adam,

Like GregF I am a devotee of copper tosogu and I do like your koshirae very much.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with having a koshirae with a wooden tsunagi and no accompanying blade in shirasaya.  None at all. And I do agree that the simple tsuba is best for this koshirae as it doesn't distract from the fittings.  Is it iron or soft metal - shakudo??  How about both sides pic.  It is my observation that simpler iron tsuba do "go well" with soft metal fittings. I have such myself and a friend has a katana with very nice soft metal fittings and a simple round iron tsuba.  It takes my breath away every time I see it.

Now if I might make an observation on something of (usually) little note about the mekugi.  It correctly and very nicely inserts from the ura side of the koshirae such as to be invisible to an "outside" observer.  It is a nice touch and speaks to me of a quality koshirae.

Is there no kozuka with this koshiare??  Its not clear to me from the photos and it is not listed as "missing" in the original sales blurb??

Finally, please excuse this pedant for an observation that you have no doubt discovered for yourself - the tsuba in the above photo is back to front... ***

Best regards,

BaZZa.

*** Here I am presuming that you are holding the koshirae "edge up" as worn??

Edited by Bazza
Clarification
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..