Please Help Identify Material of Saya Unusual? Maintenance Help too.

Winchester

Recently picked up this set of koshirae, tsuba, and saya. I am not certain what material the saya is and was wondering if you could help advise.

It is very interesting also because there is almost like crushed 'mother of pearl' or some such material that shines almost a purple to green and white depending on how it is held in the light. Tried to get some photos but you almost have to see it in person.

Any advice on how to care for the saya, tsuba, and koshirae is appreciated as I am a new collector. Thank you in advance.

IMG_2748 2.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

• Like 1

Friends, yes, I would be happy to share more photos with greater detail. I apologize if my original posts seemed somewhat dismissive...the quality is exceptional and I am very thankful to the kind man who sold it to me. 

I have just been really tired and burned out from work obligations...try to take off a few days and can't stop answering calls or emails...so it seems like the few vacation days I take, really, are not vacation, sadly.

The tsuba and all fittings are papered and most excellent. The saya is just gorgeous in the proper light. Please give me a few days and i will get better photos in natural light/outside. Kindly, Brian

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..