A Friends Collection: Part VI

Promo

Finally feel very sorry for having posted so much threads .. well, this now is the last thread! I think he had a passion for koshirae where the saya has red color on it since this one falls also into this scheme.

This one here had an oddity which was tough to picture and the reason why I took so many pictures - having it in hands it seems there really is something black in the blade, right at the hamon. This is best visible in picture 13, 18 and 19 (will be later picture posts). This is how it really appears when having it in hands. It appears to have a bit of a signature on the very bottom which might had been (partially?) lost over the time.

blade6_01.jpg

blade6_02.jpg

blade6_03.jpg

blade6_04.jpg

blade6_05.jpg

blade6_06.jpg

blade6_07.jpg

blade6_10.jpg

Well this one is signed tachi mei, which makes it interestng.  Yoshi something.  Again condition, lack of sizes and so forth make it hard to say more.

Enjoyed seeing them Georg and I am sure others will add much more information for you and your friend.

All the best.

I think this might be the most interesting item of these Georg, do you have measurements for this sword? Few years ago at Samurai Art Expo in the Netherlands a Japanese dealer had a tachi signed Yoshitsugu (NBTHK stated unknown province and early Muromachi for it). Although the signature on that seems bit different to this one in style. There were many different Yoshitsugu smiths working during Muromachi and most likely some unknown ones too.

I feel this is definately worth researching as it is interesting. :)

I agree with Jussi, Georg.  As Geraint mentioned, this one is also signed tachi mei, meaning that it may well be a bit older than the rest, possibly made during the 14th century.   Also, the tang is very long, presumably since they kept the mei on when it was shortened.  The tsuka is very long as a result.  I get the impression that the sword is not particularly long though.  Do you know the length of the cutting edge?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..