Translation/More Information

Graviga

Good evening, 

I am looking for some overall help regarding this sword. Any pointers overall including terminology will be appreciated. 

I posted the sword to a Nihonto discussion group on Facebook a while back and was told the signature was:

sagami kuni junin hiromitsu

Researching that name I have been able to find two smiths who use that signature, one from the 1300s and one from the 1500s. When I originally posted the pictures I had taken did not reveal any detail about the other side of the nagato. I believe this to have the date the sword was made. Translation of this side would be greatly appreciated as this would go a long way towards telling who the smith is. Also conformation of the original signature translation. 

Also opinions on authenticity or which smith or time period it is.

Thank you

More pics on Google share drive:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sjeZ8WWs1efEV7Za9

20210724_140621.jpg

20210724_140816.jpg

20210724_140849.jpg

Hi Dominic,

the reading of the mei  “相模國住人光” seems correct. Unfortunately all of your pictures of the other side are out of focus. To get a proper translation you should give it another try (I have an idea, but to be safe I need better pics…).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, uwe said:

Hi Dominic,

the reading of the mei  “相模國住人寛光” seems correct. 

I know it is only a typo, but the correct mei is 相模國住人光.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, uwe said:

Hi Dominic,

the reading of the mei  “相模國住人光” seems correct. Unfortunately all of your pictures of the other side are out of focus. To get a proper translation you should give it another try (I have an idea, but to be safe I need better pics…).

Hi Uwe,

I took some pictures in better lighting and focused on getting the top half and bottom half focused separately. I will post the remaining pictures that don't fit below.

20210725_093827.jpg

20210725_093836.jpg

13 hours ago, Mark S. said:

Don’t have my references in front of me to help with translation of mei… but here is some interesting info from Markus regarding the different shaped mekugiana on your blade. 

https://markussesko.com/2013/09/14/the-secret-world-of-mekugi-ana/

Thank you interesting read. I interpreted mine matching the triangle pattern labeled number three.

I wonder if some of these patterns linked to time periods are based on how a sword was mounted and remounted in different times. With each specific mekugiana marking a style of mounting in a different time period.

1 hour ago, Michaelr said:

I do not mean to offend, but pictures without feet and body parts are usually better when asking for help with a Sword.

MikeR

Hi Mike,

That makes perfect sense on a Nihonto forum when I put some thought into it. The mei portion with the date is quite difficult to see and harder to photograph. It was necessary to experiment across a variety of conditions. 

First kanji is "元" (gen) the rest is pure guesswork. If forced I could imagin to read "元弘二年....." (that would mean 1332). But I'm far from being sure and hope the more knowledgeable guys chiming in....

14 minutes ago, uwe said:

First kanji is "元" (gen) the rest is pure guesswork. If forced I could imagin to read "元弘二年....." (that would mean 1332). But I'm far from being sure and hope the more knowledgeable guys chiming in....

Thank you. That would be in line with one of the smiths. I don't think there is much more I can do to capture it with photo as it is hard to make out in person.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..