Unknown Nihonto Identification

Hello,

I was looking to potentially buy a vet bring back nihonto, but the seller has little info on the sword. I'm new to the nihonto world and was looking for some guidance. Without more info I can't determine a valid price. All the seller knows is that it's a vet bring back he purchased from an estate sale and that its (obviously) not a gunto. The blade itself is in pretty good shape, slight scratches but nothing major, and the original polish can still be seen. The sword looks to be in its original fittings, which are in rough shape. Any help in getting the tang identified would be much appreciated! Thanks so much.

KIMG1928.JPG

KIMG1927.JPG

KIMG1921.JPG

KIMG1922.JPG

Ishihara Kanenao was a WWII smith: https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN1733

You will often find blades made during the war that were sold to private citizens, or sword dealers, and originally mounted in civil fittings.  Then the sword was donated to the war effort, or bought by the Army, and refitted for the war.  The re-fit usually kept various parts of the tsuka/tsuba and simply put a leather covered saya on the blade.  The fact that it was in civil fittings originally won't tell us whether the blade is gendaito or showato.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..