Feasibility for Shirasaya and Polishing

Hello Forum/Guys, :)

I was looking around for post about the feasibility of buying/putting low cost blades into Shirasaya from their Koshirae .

I do have two Blades, 

1600's Hoki No Kami Nobutake ( Nedai) w/ Robert Benson Papers, and 1866 Shoji Yamon Naokatsu, both  are in WW II dressings.

Both in "As found" existing Polish.

Do you guys feel these Blades "responsibly " , needs or should be put into Shirasaya's ?

I live on Oahu ( Same island  as KenHawaii :) ).

1) How much is a shirasaya ?

2) Is there any Shirasaya makers in Hawaii?

3) What would be your "Guidelines" on "When/if to Polish and store into a Shirasaya" ?

as the worth of the Blade and condition of the Blade..

Thanks for viewing, 

Alton :)

Robert Benson is in Hawaii… he should be able to help you out with the decision and who to use.

Right now my initial reaction is if they are not financially worth polishing (and I mean no disrespect to the blades), then keeping them in their original mountings really isn’t a big deal.  If they were expensive blades in good polish or getting fresh polish, then shirasaya is the way to go.  My humble opinion of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aloha Alton, glad you posted, funny i was recently wondering how you were! If Covid is not a major worry, and you want to get together, let me know....I have been back in Honolulu since January. Blades that are not in good polish probably gain little from shirasaya, as long as they are getting regular maintenance. I am not aware of anyone in Hawaii doing shirasaya, I have done some for my own in years past, and have gotten better over time, but it is a deceptively complex endeavor.

• Like 1

Who in the states makes shirasayas?

Aside from Fred Lohman. I looked at photos of ones he offered on his website and i wasnt impressed with the quality.

I messaged John Tirado on Instagram but so far he has not responded. I would prefer to have the sword back within 8 months as well. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hello Guys..

Thank You all for replying.. :)

Jason and Mark, Steve, Chrs..

Thanks for putting into perspective . and, feels good hearing from you guys that have better Nihonto knowledge.

Hi Steve,

I've been surviving. :) 

I did not want to send the Blade out of state.. I was hoping there was someone here in Hawaii.

I did see the other post with USA Craftsmen/Artisans of the crafts, but, I was thinking they are way to busy with more important / significant work.

And, Thanks B. Hennick :) .. i would imagine the unnecessary risk and liability and the many collectors that might be worried and wanting constant up dates and /or scheduling, and, may lead up to conflicts.  Best to keep those professions "Profession"..  :glee:

I think i going try make my own.

I did make one Saya  long time ago, for a matt cutting Sword Blade. ( Not Japanese made) 

But, If I make one for my "Nihonto", it will not be "Real".. like everybody's one.

BTW, I found out, there is no Akio Hattori, who was suppose to be the son of Ichio Hattori. :shock:

Alton    <   :crazy:

Thanks all..  :)

Saya Shaping.jpg

Saya Clamping s.jpg

Saya Tsuka s.jpg

Saya Paint.jpg

Custom Saya.jpg

2 hours ago, chrstphr said:

Who in the states makes shirasayas?

Aside from Fred Lohman. I looked at photos of ones he offered on his website and i wasnt impressed with the quality.

I messaged John Tirado on Instagram but so far he has not responded. I would prefer to have the sword back within 8 months as well. 

Chris

I think he used to have them made by Randy Black.

Mike Virgadamo in Californa does very good quality and affordabkle Shirasaya

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, NihontoCollector said:

I think he used to have them made by Randy Black.

Mike Virgadamo in Californa does very good quality and affordabkle Shirasaya

thank you. Someone posted on here in another thread that Mike damaged his sword. Not sure i am comfortable using him. My choices are looking slim to none.

Chris

6 hours ago, SAS said:

Woody, who was Bob Benson's deshi for many years, is in Las Vegas now; maybe reach out to him and ask his opinion?

Do you have contact for Woody? Woody would have opinion on to send for a  shirasaya in the USA? 

Chris

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SAS said:

I have done some for my own in years past, and have gotten better over time, but it is a deceptively complex endeavor.

Steve - If not already done, would you consider creating a post to pass on your experience with your hits, tips, pitfalls and successes?  I don't need shirasaya at the moment, but iit would be useful to have someone else's experience available if I did.

Anyone else?  Also, any experience of making your own tsunagi? (I will need to have a crack at that soon!)

I'm not hijacking the thread, just suggesting a new one!

Cheers,

Jon

• Thanks 1

Hello Forum/Guys, :)

Thank You for all your post and thoughts.

No need to look further. Thank You.  :)

I originally asked for shirasaya makers that reside in Hawaii.

I was hesitant to send the blades out of Hawaii for the shirasaya work.

No postage cost/risk,  and a saya maker here in Hawaii would be easier to communicate with  and no traveling.

That is why I was asking for makers in Hawaii.

Thanks for Bob Benson's website link Steve.

I saw Bob, too,  had links to the " Beauty of Japanese Swords"  series/episodes from GINZA SEIKODO ( Thank You Mr. Saito  , great videos  :thumbsup:)  , 

which was one of the reasons that stirred up / re-energized my time/interest  back to  Nihonto  :)

I just loved the way the guess speaker, Steward Ueno , spoke and explained about Swords.

I wish I met him while he was here..

I also saw NMB's fellow member Robert Hughes ..

Very interesting and informative Mr. Hughes , Thank You  :)

I've watched the series/episodes many times already and I still replay them because there is so much content.

I also play the videos while I look at my Blades, for both the lectures and the Piano jazz Background music they use. :)

I like/love listening to Japanese Piano Jazz Trios.. 

Thanks everyone. Be safe..

Alton T :)

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..