NBTHK-AB San Fran fittings display for study a MUST see

At the San Francisco show coming up will be a OUTSTANDING display for study put on by the NBTHK-AB of Ichijo and Nagatsune fittings it will be the best display ever put on in the USA of there works I believe all of the Nagatsune are in his sketch book and the most of the Ichijo in the original boxes from Ichijo when he made them for the original buyer   

If you are a Kodogu person or just want to see the best of the best, come the the show and see the display as a grouping like this will not be put together again !!!!!!

Fred Geyer    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know of some of the pieces in the collections being used for this, and this would be a high level exhibition even in Japan. Some things that will be shown will be shown for the first time.

I haven't been to the USA for 5 years but this exhibition makes me want to get on a plane.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Too bad this wasn’t revealed before. With fires all over the west, planes to and from SFO delayed because of smoke, and car rental scarce and expensive I decided to wait another year. I would have found a way had I known.  Hopefully somebody will take pictures and post them.

• Thanks 2

Michael - 

The lectures are always on Saturday, so youre in luck. I believe the NBTHK will charge a fee for non-members to attend as they have in the past. I will post the schedule  of all the events once I have it.

-tch

• Like 1

Schedule of events - just posted

2021 TOKEN KAI

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

FRIDAY AUGUST 6

8:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M.                   Dealer Set-up                                     Ballroom F-J

12:00 P.M.-10:00 P.M.     Public Show Hours                          Ballroom F-J

6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.                      Cocktail Reception                             Foyer F

SATURDAY AUGUST 7

9:00 A.M.-10:00 P.M.                   Show Hours                                          Ballroom F-J

10:00 AM-11:00 P.M.                  JSSUS Etiquette Lecture                   Ballroom C-D

11:00 A.M.11:30 A.M.                  NBTHKAB Board Meeting.              Ballroom C-D

1:00 P.M.-3:00 P.M.                      NBTHKAB Display/Forum       Ballroom C-D

6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.                      Cocktail/Dinner Reception*     Foyer F

SUNDAY AUGUST 8

9:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.                     Show Hours                                          Ballroom F-J

4:00 P.M.                                          Show Closes                                                           

Thank you

*This event is for Exhibitors only.

• Like 2

It will be Saturday as part of the NBTHK-AB exhibits. The time allotment is from 1-3 although there are 2 displays. 1 mentioned above from 1-2pm and the other will be a lecture on Yamato swords where there will be 6 Juyo examples of Yamato swords from the different schools in Yamato from 2-3pm. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, 1kinko said:

Too bad this wasn’t revealed before. With fires all over the west, planes to and from SFO delayed because of smoke, and car rental scarce and expensive I decided to wait another year. I would have found a way had I known.  Hopefully somebody will take pictures and post them.

Like the Yagyu display so many years ago or seeing all those Kaneiye in person at the DTI in 2014, this sounds such a rare opportunity that I looked into plane flights same day in and out just to attend. Prices, times, and layovers proved a bridge too far, but I am still looking into any last minute deals that can remotely line up with my work schedule.

The AB-NBTHK Yagyu publication doesn't convey half the value of seeing the Yagyu display in person. I've seen a few of the Nagatsune belonging to one of the exhibitors and really encourage people to attend. For my own sake, I hope this display can come to an East Coast function some day or recur. I regret it wasn't announced earlier, as missing it is certainly my educational loss in the shadow of some great pieces being displayed.

Three of the best fittings collectors in the USA trotting out some of the best stuff.... bite my tongue if I miss it.

Edit:  I just saw Barry's post below. Another reason to attend. One of the most beautiful swords I've ever seen was a TokuJuyo (Yamato) Hosho on display at SF about 18 or 19 years ago. Knock your socks off Instant KO.

I've long hoped to see that one again some day.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2021 at 10:11 AM, Curran said:

For my own sake, I hope this display can come to an East Coast function some day or recur.

I am more than happy to help in any way to make a good show on the East coast. Not sure how I could help, but willing to do whatever.

Well Mark, I am afraid youre going to be disappointed. I can certainly post pictures of the show and will do so elsewhere. This display was fantastic - can hardly think of anything in Japan that was it's equal. In the end there were 10, ten!  Yamato blades, most being Juyo, and text book examples of the very best of the five main schools. The fittings did not disappoint either. I think it was nine examples of Goto Ichijo work, all excellent works. The Ichinomiya Nagatsune stuff was just tops and seeing the sketchbooks alongside each piece allowed one to see how the artist made subtle changes to each design in the execution that really improved upon the original concepts. I wound up spending way more time in the room than I had planned but it was well worth it. Unfortunately NO PHOTOS ALLOWED!

-t

I’ve never understood the object of no photos of tosogu and nihonto. I ran into the same problem at the Sword Museum in Tokyo but not at the National Museums in Japan. Are they afraid you will publish pictures taken through glass or from 3 feet away or that you could somehow make copies? It just doesn’t make sense to me, but c'est la vie.

Darrel -

I believe with museums they want you to have to buy a ticket so they don't like photographs. In this case these were items held by private individuals, they want to reserve the right to publish at some point and they want the little added layer of security knowing their very valuable collections are not public knowledge.

Barry - I do not think a publication is planned since several of the items were last minute adds but the NBTHK/AB may post a listing at some point...

-t

Barry the swords were all mumei koto katana and juyo to specific schools. Tegai, Taima, Hosho, Shikkake, Senjuin with multiples of each. One of the juyo hosho was signed but just gold attribution and Hosho likely had other characters removed at some time). One the Shikkake did have a Norinaga attribution on the sayagaki but not on the Juyo Zufu.... Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Peter I disagree with your assessment that it was a failure to USE it. You simply do not know what you are talking about. The event was attended by 90+ people and we did USE it as an education tool to enhance the mission of the NBTHK-AB.  Additionally, there were professional photographs taken of several of the items and some of them will be available on the members only section of the NBTHK-AB site. More importantly I have to say I am somewhat disappointed that you think that just because you are a member of the NBTHK-AB that you are entitled for that organization to provide you with photos for an event you did not attend. What I think you fail to understand is that these items were provided as part of personal collections and are not owned in any way by the NBTHK-AB. So ultimately it is up to the owners of the items if they want those photographs published on the internet etc. Let me also remind you that it takes a tremendous amount of work to put on these presentations, not to mention significant cost and risk of damage for items, loss etc so when I see posts like this it is really disappointing to me personally to hear the complaint vs the thanks for going to all the extra work with absolutely no personal benefit. I also want to say these are my personal thoughts and not those of the NBTHK-AB.  

• Like 5

Peter,

I believe there were 21Juyo pcs in the room swords and fittings best of the best if you drop a camera or anything away goes something people have spent their lives looking for and not to mention the costs with this , as James noted above just traveling with this stuff makes the owners nervous !!!!

So thank you to the owners for bringing their prized items to the show for everyone to see and learn from as it was one of the BEST displays ever !!

Fred Geyer          

• Like 5

It really and truly was education on par with the best displays in Japan. We at the NCJSC are grateful that the NBTHK/AB would choose our event for such a display. If there was any failing it was that we did not get the word out soon enough for more people to learn of this event and plan to be there. Given the times we are living in, this was understandable.

-tch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to gently disagree with Tom.  Many people did hear the word. The exhibition room was packed, I doubt it could have accommodated many more. People lined up 5 and 6 deep in front of each item to see these wonderful fittings up close, and to hold Juyo swords in hand for study. What better for the NBTHK-AB to be doing than to promote this extraordinary educational activity equal to or superior to what one can see in Japan?  Yes, it is necessary to get up and go to something like this, but how many comparable opportunities will there be?  No one should believe they can sit at home and expect an experience of this extraordinary value to be delivered by DoorDash. All of us who attended are deeply grateful to those who offered their treasures for display.

Les

PS: And, for Peter: There was at least one fine Sendai katana offered in the sale room.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just envy.:wub:

I spent the weekend in a moving van with two palookas from Hollywood, FL.

I definitely would rather have been at the SF show, and tried to arrange it up till Wednesday.

Definitely wanted to see the Nagatsune.

Well, gee. I am sorry to have set off a bit of apparently hard feelings. I suppose that I should also be ashamed to have exhibited ignorance. Thank you, James, for pointing that out. And Fred is completely correct in pointing out that serious sword appreciation has become a very high-priced activity these days. Membership in the NBTHK-AB does not make somebody a serious collector, but it does demonstrate interest and desire.

I remember and enjoyed many discussions with Paul Davidson about the role and future of the NBTHK-AB. Paul had thought deeply about the preservation and appreciation of Japan art swords. As a result of those discussions I have come to see that American collecting has moved beyond the “preservation” phase and on to “appreciation.” The NBTHK, in Tokyo operates with high standards. My task as a collector is now to try to understand what in the world those  standards are. The NBTHK-AB might be able to assist in that process.

Peter

There is room for everyone in the NBTHK-AB in my opinion regardless of whether they are interested in preservation, appreciation, or collecting. The unifying across all is a love for the items and sincere search for knowledge about them. For many of us who are members and even officers of that organization we spend a lot of precious time trying to foster those ideals as unpaid volunteer efforts to try and do everything we can to see this hobby not only survive but thrive. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..