Nothing special Tsuba, but still curious.

MHC

Hello all,

Had this for awhile, I know it's nothing special, but still curious about it's approx. age and the artist.  Hate having something, without knowing details about it.

Mark

1277045223_1.jpg.e26497b1125158eea45bdb8a4beab00b.jpg

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

#4.jpg

Thanks Kyle,

A school with beginner students I would guess, by the questionable skill level of this piece. It had a lot more gold & silver inlay at one time, but the installation style is lacking good adhesion, and has fallen out over the years.

It does appear that it has been mounted on at least 2 swords over the years, so somebody liked it enough to use.

Mark

Shoami were a large school(s) (there were several groups Kyo, Iyo, Aizu, Shonai etc - see here for an overview - http://www.shibuiswords.com/shoami.htm). However, as with any tosogu school, quality often varies. There are some very beautiful and valuable Shoami tsuba (particular ko-shoami). Although your tsuba has lost some inlay and the decoration has been removed, it’s nevertheless a pleasant plate with the theme of a bird cage and a soaring bird, perhaps suggesting the bird has broken loose or been freed.  

• Like 2

Hello Kyle,

Thanks for the attachment, it was good and informative reading, very helpful indeed.

Now I feel comfortable knowing a period and a school style. The Aizu-Shoami school style, seems to fit it the best, wish it was in better condition.

It came on a sword I bought that was probably a civilian WWII Gunto re-mount, utilizing the older blade & Tsuba, with a re-used Saya wrapped in Gunto leather and a Gunto Tsuka. Everything fits together flawlessly and super tight, and all the patina is exactly the same, so I'm confidant it all belongs together.

I will re-mount the blade with much nicer Koshirae, and I guess just hang onto the parts-n-pieces.

Thanks again.

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..