RB Caldwell collection

Ron STL

This is a two-part posting so let's see what it turns up. I have a very beautiful f/k depicting "cranes" and am trying to place age/school for it. It was once owned by RB Caldwell and sold after his death. Of all the books in my library, I never did buy his book showing items from his collection. First question, if somebody out there has a copy of this book I'd appreciate looking to see if by chance, this set is pictured. If so, what is it described as. Second, I'm open to any opinion can be offered on the set. My apologies for the not so clear photo, but in reality, the detail is terrific. The wing feathers are individually detailed down to the hairs of each feather, for example. The nanako is well made and slightly large (not like Goto nanako). I'm just trying to get some direction on the set. I have some opinion, but will wait to the fresh thoughts first. 

It is frustrating that this seems to be the best quality my I-Phone 7 can do. The phone is do to be replaced sometime, meanwhile I need to reacquaint myself with my camera I suppose. Thanks for any help you can give me on identifying the set. 

RonSTL 

KTK2022 1B.jpg

KTK2022 1E.jpg

Are you referring to this book?  https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b422-Japanese-sword-fittings-rb-caldwell-collection

or - https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/c106-masterpieces-randolph-b-caldwell-collection 

He had other books published, one on tsuba and another on swords. 

The books seem to be few and far between as far as availability.

The nanako are later edo using one of the macro punches developed by then. The beads will probably be larger, full rounded, and consistently placed.

As to an attribution:   I would be looking closely at every chisel stroke of the cranes and form my opinion from that. That require some level of magnification beyond your Iphone is currently producing.

By late Edo, that could be quite a number of schools- but I am getting a lot better at distinguishing them these days. Like getting to Carnegie Hall:  practice, practice, practice.

Curran

• Like 1

Thanks Geraint, at least that satisfies my curiosity. Curran, I'll try and get more crisp photos of the details not seen on the Iphone shots. I will say my first thoughts were, "if these were sent for shinsa" they would come back as late Edo, Kyo-kinko or something like that. What this is about, I'm considering using these for the 2022 KTK Catalog (if accepted), but lack a reliable description at this point. As you said, more crisp photography would be needed. Meanwhile, your thoughts and impressions are appreciated. 

RonSTL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..