Several Blades from a Friend's Estate

A friend of mine with an extensive collection of militaria, much of it WWI and WWII, has passed away.  I agreed to help the family identify and find homes for his collection, that they didn't even know existed. For years I've been helping him sell sabers, bayonets, uniforms, etc.

I have photos of several swords that vary from wartime stampings to a handful that are more interesting, though I doubt any are significantly valuable.  I'll post one at a time so there's time for clear discussion.  I also have two for the main forum, as those do appear to be traditional, though recent._DSC3845.thumb.JPG.52b7ca3e4b469af4c606a752d932703b.JPG_DSC3849.thumb.JPG.5af33d78ba5b0ab21e3ee2633f2eb62a.JPG_DSC3850.thumb.JPG.3953734bd9366fecca8bddecb37a3aef.JPG_DSC3858.thumb.JPG.55e5af01d29d73eb815527087324d864.JPG_DSC3861.thumb.JPG.5f588550358f1533cc433d913c2c1d24.JPG_DSC3854.thumb.JPG.967a0cdce0e325a76d5778d361e79574.JPG_DSC3844.thumb.JPG.6b78af44676d2e688c9ce6aff57a97ae.JPG

• Like 2

I will try to chalk and photo tomorrow.

A large part of his collection was loaned to the Fort Benjamin Harrison Museum for several years. His firearm and saber collection is amazing. He had books and magazines, uniforms and insignia, and these were in a cabinet stuffed in the basement.  I'm glad they're in as good a condition as they are.  His family was afraid they'd have to sell the house to settle the estate.  I'm glad I could both bring them some good news, and preserve a fine collection for people who appreciate them.

• Like 1

Any information about the maker, age, etc, appreciated.  I'm collating it all with the museum provenance (Where it exists) and what he told me about any of the items before he died.  One set of German armor quarterly magazines went to an historian because it references "Leutnant Rommel and his innovative strategies with tanks" in 1934.

Age is late 1930s to 1945. Maker...let's wait to be sure who the maker is before we dive into the details (but you should be able to find some info in English on the internet regarding Hattori Masahiro). We can be fairly sure of the age because of the distinct chippy style of marking the tang. No need for chalk as the name looks to be inscribed well/deep enough. Also, there may be a date inscribed on the opposite side. 

• Thanks 1

I'd like to keep it. :) But my budget is not unlimited, and my wife just bought a Charles Lancaster shotgun for her collection, and I'm keeping the artillery Luger from this one.  So I'll have to be selective about which I can afford to pay them for in a reasonable time, vs helping them sell for the income they need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brian said:

The limits wouldn't affect uploading unless you are trying to upload 20 files at a time or huge file sizes.
Decent images...you should easily be able to cove every aspect of a sword.

They were big enough I'm now limited to 4.88 MB. They were pretty big files.

8 hours ago, MichaelZWilliamson said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ran short of time with the photographer and don't have more pics, but I can get some. This one is interesting to me. I've always liked the lines of the kyu gunto.

The sword appears to possibly be one of the Sadamune sword smiths. If so, he may be one of the Sadamune smiths listed below in Mister Robert Cole's recently published guide " Sho-shin  Index of Swordsmiths & Price Guide."

843922918_20210722_162522(2).thumb.jpg.4a40a2aaf73101cabe424d30ef67db74.jpg

Dave M.

14 hours ago, dwmc said:

The sword appears to possibly be one of the Sadamune sword smiths. If so, he may be one of the Sadamune smiths listed below in Mister Robert Cole's recently published guide " Sho-shin  Index of Swordsmiths & Price Guide."

843922918_20210722_162522(2).thumb.jpg.4a40a2aaf73101cabe424d30ef67db74.jpg

Dave M.

A mei thats o suriage, is suspect at best i this arrangement 

8 hours ago, lonely panet said:

A mei thats o suriage, is suspect at best i this arrangement 

Your thinking Gimei due to o suriage nakago Hamfish ? Could very well be the case... highly likely !

Dave M.

17 hours ago, MichaelZWilliamson said:

I'll be happy to post stuff there as it's identified and either gets offers or valuation.  Of the 14, six interest me, but I can probably only justify two. The others are for sale, payable to his estate.

Keep them coming Michael! You'll get plenty of prospective buyers here, I'm sure. Plus, the people here are genuinely interested in these swords, will appreciate them, and the swords will be well maintained.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..