sword opinion

Always hard to tell from pictures… but I’m interested in the nagasa and length of nakago.  Blade has been shortened quite a bit but the nakago was left relatively long.  Shortened twice and then machi okuri? 

Dear Mark.

It has been my understanding that machi okuri is a term that refers to a slight adjustment of the machi without suriage.  Once a sword is shortened then it becomes suriage, Of course the machi have been moved but it is a different condition.

Like you I thought the nakago was long but as we are working without an overall blade image I am now not so sure, trying to extrapolate from the image of the blade in it's koshirae.

All the best.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Geraint said:

Dear Mark.

It has been my understanding that machi okuri is a term that refers to a slight adjustment of the machi without suriage.  Once a sword is shortened then it becomes suriage, Of course the machi have been moved but it is a different condition.

It just seems like the distance between the final mekugi-ana and machi is more than normal (maybe not?) when placed during the last suriage?  Just thought an additional machi okuri might account for this… but of course it could have just been done like that.  Would be interested to see without habaki.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..