Question about mune and sharpness

Hello there, 

I've some begginer questions if you don't mind. I've attached a picture. Can you please tell me why the top part of the swords mune has different polish(raw?) then the rest of it? I have 3 swords, 2 of them are like this...but the third one, a Kanbun shinto is not? Why would that be? Also, a very general question about sharpness of a blade..I don't know if this is same with all the swords but the only sharp part of my sword is the boshi..edges are not sharp..why is that? Did samurai used only the tip of the sword to attack?

Thank you!

IMG_6144.jpg

Okan, what you are likely seeing on the mune at the kissaki is burnishing. It is like the burnishing one sees near the nakago and can be considered somewhat of a signature of the polisher. 

As to sharpened edges, the ha is meant to be sharp the length of the blade. If it is not I would make an assumption that the blade is simply out of polish to some degree as polishing and "sharpening" are to some degree indistinguishable on nihonto (an over generalization for sure, but since believe still accurate). 

I will I'll try to track down some images...

Hi Okan,

It's nothing to worry about. In most cases the shinogi ji is burnished, but occasionally not. Sometimes the polisher will add his signature (the thing that looks like a bar code) at the kissaki mune as in the picture in the thread linked by Jason above. Other times it will be at the habaki moto as in Jason's first picture. That the polisher hasn't burnished the whole of the mune in your blade is probably just the preference of the polisher.

• Thanks 1

I have mentioned this before and it is my belief that modern trained polishers togishi do not emphasise the sharpness as much as the cosmetics of the blade. Old field polishes were 'in the white' and very sharp. The Edo peace changed what was more desirable in viewing than hewing. John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..