owari, kanayama, shoami, or something else?

jct3602

Thoughts on origin?  Two small files are from sale pictures; other is in hand in natural sunlight; attempted to crop but for some reason the program would not show the cropped pictures.  Will send reverse side in following.

john20210718_094132.thumb.jpg.48a6c8bcf7bf9839d69a9c538ab0f77d.jpg

i-img768x1024-1625040717zh5qyd122221.jpg

i-img768x1024-1625040736nzcn6d25942.jpg

• Like 1

My 50 cents: I would go for Shoami because of the rounded rim (as far as I can guess it) and the kidney shaped openings. There’s a spot on the rim about 8 o’clock, but I can’t decide if it is a tekkotsu or just corrosion.

Concerning the large box shaped openings there was a discussion of a similar piece about a year ago: www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/32529-cross-shaped-shoami-tsuba/

Much useful information there.

Florian

• Like 1

I would say Shoami School circa the early to mid Edo Period agreeing with Florian statement above. The marks at 8:00 is likely just serious corrosion of the plate. It hard to get a feel for the real age of the tsuba from your photos as the focus is a bit to soft and not uniform across the plate of the tsuba.  

Those kind of tagane could be found sometimes.
I agree they have none or only a small effect in altering the nakago ana.
Because of this IMHO it is most probably some kind of signature or perhaps refernce marks for a later modification of the nakago ana.

Here’s an example out of Kremers’ book “Sukashi Tsuba”. Although the tanghole has been modified already similar tagane could be noticed.

IMG_4426.thumb.JPG.af33c28f1716352a57f3ff78a8ed476d.JPG

Florian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..