Looking for a katana

barnejp

Chris is correct Greg,  you will struggle at that price unless you want to search, wait and then get really lucky.  

Be carefull buying something around that price (or for less), lots of good fakes, replicas and "fantasy" swords out there for not much money.  

If you happen to come across something that meets your current criteria then you could just run it past NMB members before hand (if you can) because I am sure you will get honest opinions (still only opinions though).

Rob  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Look up "Hanwei".......

Unless you buy one used, they have a 6 month to almost 1 year wait after ordering. He may get lucky and find a dealer on eBay that actually has some Hanwei in stock, and just take what they have.

Barnejp, we all appreciate your interest in Nihonto. To be completely honest, you can't even find a WWII machine made NCO sword for $500 any more. (with aluminum tsuka and plain steel blade with no hamon) At that price point, you can get decent quality replicas, but those are replicas.

Wishing you the best.

Among the modern replicas, Hanwei are admittedly good cutters and look fairly decent. As Dan says, you'll struggle to find even those in stock at that pricepoint. Have you looked at what is for sale here on the forum? Nothing in that range, BUT there are some rather good deals and you will be pleased with what you get.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:46 PM, barnejp said:

Thanks everyone for your replies..much appreciated.

Please be careful buying from online forums.

There have been a lot of fraudsters lately on SBG.

I suggest that you ask for a creditable reference or buy from someone with history to their account.

This message board is run pretty tight and most of the sword veterans are very friendly.

Don't rush into it if you can.

Happy hunting 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to buy a katana about two years ago but I am glad I decided to wait.  I did a lot of reading on this forum and other places and saved my pennies.  I just now made a first purchase and I'm very glad I waited because I can appreciate what I purchased a lot more and this board introduced me to sellers I could trust (thanks Mark Jones!).  A katana is an expensive purchase even at the low end that I could afford and a little patience will be time well invested.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 8:46 PM, barnejp said:

Thanks everyone for your replies..much appreciated.

Messaging you now.  5 minutes later: My message was not sent because, when I sent it, I got a message stating that your account is not set up to receive messages - strange... Anyway, I may have a Gunto for sale within your price range. Message me if interested. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..