Ko-nara Tsuba

cdrcm12

Hi,

Just working my way through researching some recent additions. This one I'm thinking ko-nara?

The ox is a little worn as it comes out of the thatched barn, there are shigure-yasurime (slanting drizzle) and sukashi elements. Beside the stream there appears to the remains of some gold.

The shape of the hitsu-ana seems to be the wrong way round, would there be a reason for this?

Many thanks

Dimensions:

Height - 73mm

Width - 72mm

Mimi thk - 5.8mm

Seppa dai thk - 5.8mm

Nara2.thumb.jpg.f69198ef53df07e05e5243798d524437.jpg

Nara1.thumb.jpg.32eac33d15ce7b7998c4ff73c32ad9bb.jpg

There is a similar tsuba shown in a previous post to the board, although not attributed to ko-nara.

xqYVJF6S-B1NUCLXW_RZcm44v0TtVa5DN2GqEO6YwjfqnMDwokSaYKeu5JtTThgrehhNHcbyS_T3x2kheCi0is7UA3fi0hj-yaUTziF4aQBKTBY0JHINuVucaen6pciGYSSyRsxl

PApK15lRbsHCeuYFwX65Pdecs5y3XUQmC7GcsOyugjqxoE_iX5QNr4q7talxi2fAU7qukWfnKbYhKU_ZB3YiIJt04d8AUutGSPxcgehSftVf3gzvBqGEugIh1VgLHzTc5i5OIY1o

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/34424-happy-new-year-ox-tsuba/

The one in this post has a similar feel with the sukashi elements and the window.

"Ko-Nara" is a bit who you ask.

From Markus' nigh divine translations, they are classified as being from (roughly) Temple Ornamentation Makers. Markus, feel free to correct my hackneed translation.

Thus, the geometry to it feels a bit different than other carvings. To me, it is a bit more 3-D, as they are accustomed to working more at making objects viewed more 360degrees.

In some books, the writer will depict tsuba more like yours.

Others, more like the one I have attached. Signed "Nara saku" on the back. It is the only one I have handled to date that I would definitely call "Ko-Nara".

While "Ko-" usually signifies circa pre1600, it seems to equate to about pre1700 (edited) for the iron works of Akasaka and Nara.

Curran

Nara Ko-Nara Pine Tree 002.jpg

Nara Ko-Nara Pine Tree 001.jpg

Dale,

Thanks for sharing the images, always useful to see reference to the design. I wonder if there is some story behind the design of the ox and barn or it's just a nice simple rustic picture?

Curran,

Thank you for your comment. I have to admit I've just been trawling the internet for similar tsuba designs. Haynes catalogue No.9 has a tsuba by Kaneshige, lot 265, (image below) with a similar style of design and size with the sukashi and stream. Classed as Nara school. I do like the tsuba you have shown a very classic design and very well executed.

IMG_20210715_223245.thumb.jpg.8a28b8db7c529287b50d46933d4b0d44.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..