Boy, I say boy

We had a client from St. Louis that sounded exactly like Foghorn Leghorn. Pitch perfect.

A Korean War veteran, he'd say things to my wife like "I probably shot at your grand-dad". He had a voice that would carry from South Korea to North Korea.

He preferred the phone to email. As soon as caller ID showed it to be him... the wife ran to give me the phone, "Its Foghorn."

He would leave her deaf in one ear, so he was totally my responsibility.

-- I liked talking to him, but his voice would leave my hair blown to one side of my head.

Ps. The tsuba is a copy of Jinbei / Jingo design, done by Issei Naruki (rough spelling). He is a good copyist and modernly accepted, though a bit over prolific in recent years. I owned one of his Nobuiye copies, but traded it to Arnold Frenzel one year in Tampa.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

I need a break from work. Off to watch Foghorn cartoons.

Issei Naruki's tsuba tend to be copyist versions of real ones. I was not aware there existed a Big Rooster Shimizu/Jingo tsuba. If anyone has an image of the original, please post or advise where the heck I can find it.

• Like 1

Dear Bruce,

The text suggest that this is a koshirae in the making and that the maker has just swapped out the kabutogane for the chicken.  Though I must say that I like the idea of a kabutogane cover, "The universal tachi,  just wear your tachi around town during the day but when you want to spice it up for that special event just slip our kabutogane  cover chicken head on it and away you go!"

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Curran said:

I need a break from work. Off to watch Foghorn cartoons.

Issei Naruki's tsuba tend to be copyist versions of real ones. I was not aware there existed a Big Rooster Shimizu/Jingo tsuba. If anyone has an image of the original, please post or advise where the heck I can find it.

It was from the Yahoo auction link Stephen posted at the top.

39 minutes ago, suketaka said:

@Curran

Kurokawa Institut Tsuba # 173.

Oh wow. I haven't found #173 yet, but I will.

They have The Yasuchika (Highly ranked National Treasure) on their Facebook feed:  https://www.facebook.com/263948137029136/photos/a.264017607022189/2996228090467780/?type=3&theater

I've never seen a better image of it. Saving that down to my little research files now. I think I would trade off all but 2 of my collection for it. A collection of 3 tsuba.... to dream.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...