Deep pockets?

Dont you just love it that they don't post a picture of the certificate, guess that serves a marketing purpose?... It should be NBTHK Tokubetsu Kicho (I think it translates to that in English) Daishō koshirae attributed towards Omori Teruhide based on the information provided by the auction house. Seeing the certificate would be nice to see what specific info it provides.

• Like 2

A year or two back a very nice daisho koshirae was sold in Bonhams for something like £75,000 so I have a feeling they are out of their depth with the presale estimate. 

Interesting to note that in the FB write up they say that the blades are unsigned .... and thought to be the work of Omori Teruhide.    

Look forward to seeing where these end up in terms of price.

Just because they are very pretty to look at.... https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21861/lot/196/

All the best.

It is interesting that the tsuka seem to be wrapped in baleen, or 鯨髭巻 kujirahige maki.   There is a NMB thread about a decade or so ago where Reinhard posted that it became fairly common in late Edo and was very popular during Meiji, as many swords for export were wrapped with baleen. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, RIA gets very good prices from general militaria collectors. The sort of guys that will own that sword for 10 years and never take off the tsuka to see who made it.
They are the US version of Bonhams or Sothebys....catering to people who demand the best and have deep pockets.
I'd love to sell my stuff through them oneday.

• Like 2

Yes, they do. Some of the guns they have sold in the last couple of years have been the cream of the crop, mouth watering.  

I don't think those swords are worth anywhere near RI's estimate, unless the blades turn out to be very big name. They could sell for a lot though, if a couple of deep pockets get into a pissing contest.  Remember the octopus tsuba a few years back.

• Like 1

The swords were owned by a big time gun collector that went for very flashy things.  One blade is mumei and the other likely gimei.   I am debating whether to go have a look in hand, since they are about 3 hours away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 9:51 AM, Stephen said:

RIA  September premier auction 

Too soon to see blade's just a tease.

https://youtu.be/UZ4FAfmoJsI

Holy Smokes that's an amazing piece 

I love the prawn carving on the saya.

The detail in the waves and balance of it all on the koshirae is epic.

Thanks for sharing that link.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..