Kao on sayagaki

JAL

Dear NMB members,

I have been trying to find out whether the kao on this sayagaki can be identified but I have not been able to find it. As a last resort I decided to post it here hoping. Otherwise it is a kao that will stay unidentified. Obviously it is not a kao from the usual appraisers and it might be insignificant but I am just curious.

thanks for all the help you can provide,

best regards,

John

C41CDB92-8BCA-4123-A66D-157EF5D7E85E.jpeg

So the two characters of the name can be read "Shimotsuki" (Frost Moon) and this is the old name for November - the reason I think this is a name and not a date is because there is no other date information above or below it - 

Therefore I'm convinced this is a art name 霜月 "Sogetsu" with kao - I would posit that this is the polishers art name, maybe some Mekiki whose work we haven't seen. Someone here is sure to know...

-t

• Like 1

Thank you Tom,  much appreciated. 

the quaility of the sayagaki (ink) is quite low, polish by the way is quite good. i am still working on kanji and working on the sayagaki translation. Much more difficult than the papers….

Best regards,

john

Struggling with the first part of the sayagaki: Shinshuu (Shinano) 信州.   松代兼虎 and then a name or else? And then 大上目乱加出来这 . Maybe my transcription of the handwriting into the kanji is wrong? Best regards, John

thanks for all the help. The first part still is a bit strange to me. I was also looking in the sayagaki for the attribution (both blades are mumei but attributed to Gassan Sadayoshi) which I had expected to be on the top. Mumei Jidai Keio I could find.

信州松代 兼虎

Shinshu Matsudai Kanetora: would this be the writer of the sayagaki (Matsudai Kanetora from Shinano province?)

大互目乱れ 出来良し

O gunome midare, good work

best regards,

john

Thanks Matt, interesting, I will check it. It came with papers that stated Gassan Sadayoshi. The issuing org is quite unknown so not sure.

best regards, John

7AD2E6F8-D775-4297-944A-CAE5F90FBF2E.jpeg

B2FA14B4-0114-4352-A1C1-8B757B853FF7.jpeg

Edited by JAL
Complete picture

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..