Need recommendations for Tsuka repair and wraps

Hi guys, who would you recommend for Tsuka repair and/or Ito wraps/re-wraps. Who are the vendors with good reputations? Any personal experiences? I've seen the "Fred Lohman" site, but don't know anything about their quality of work/reputation. 

P.S. Not looking for repairs or alterations on any of my existing guntos or those on the way to me - just want the info for future reference should I have the need.

• 4 months later...

Good morning, I am bringing this up

from the dead due to my search of the topic.  I have a modern sword with a cracked tsuka.  My main concern is getting it replaced with the proper fit to make it safe and maintaining the workmanship of the rest of the katana.  

Is David still recommended and does he have a respectable turn around time?   

Regards

Todd

I sent a Kai Gunto to David McDonald in late August and got it back in mid-October (last month). He did a nice job re-wrapping the tsuka. I now have a local guy, with a great reputation, to do my repairs and restorations. I'm in the Phoenix, Arizona metro area and so is Randy Black - he's about a 30 minute drive from me. So, if I use Randy, I don't have to be concerned with shipping. Randy has re-wrapped the tsuka of another Kai Gunto in my collection, as well as doing some saya repair work this past summer. Very satisfied with Randy's work. He is very knowledgeable and even instructed me on how best to do some minor repair work myself - Koshirae only! He doesn't mess with blades and neither will I. Also, Randy Black is now backed up at least 3 months, so any work sent to him will now have a longer turn-around time.

And, the sword I just received from David is now at my mentor's for a tip re-shaping - the blade had a broken tip. My mentor resides locally, about 30 minutes from my place, and he does minor work on blades as well as polishing of lesser valued swords (he probably not polish a sword valued at more than $5K - told me, "I know my limits"). He has been polishing swords for years, has a big inventory of those expensive polishing blocks from Japan, and those that have had blades polished by him are happy with the results. He recommends Moses (in Chicago?), Jimmy? (the guy in San Francisco), and other professional polishers for higher-value swords. 

I am quickly learning that 🤣. I do know now is that when I do take that step to purchase a traditional piece, I rather pay on the font end for the polish and everything else to be spot on!   

I appreciate the recommendation and support.  

Todd

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..