Help on Identifying Age and Signature Gunto

3 hours ago, Kolekt-To said:

could we be looking at a non-traditionally made blade made by a Seki smith?

I haven't done any research into which smith this is, but the "Na" stamp of the Nagoya Army Arsenal is a strong sign that this is a showato.  Evidence indicates that blades marked with arsenal inspector stamps were not made traditionally.  That is not the case in star-stamped blades with additional inspector stamps, but the blade in question is likely showata as it doesn't have star.

Also, since the blade was handed over to the Nagoya arsenal, there's a good chance that the smith was working in the Seki area.

• Thanks 1

All good friends. :) I am considering selling to buy a nihonto from around 1500 C.E. or AD.

I am waiting until November because my work and family life is busy...had I learned of this hobby younger, it would be totally different, but now have family and kids that depend on me. Such is life. 

• Like 2

I'm sure many of us know where you are at and sympathise.  Just wanted to assure you that this field of study is compelling and can still be enjoyed during the time your family are growing.  A visit here and there with a fellow collector, local sword club if there is one within reach and plenty of browsing online will keep you learning and vicariously enjoying swords and fittings.  Eventually the time will come when they have all grown up and you get to play with something other than Lego again.

Mine are all grown up and gainfully employed now and while it was a thin time regarding swords while they were growing I wouldn't swap and with the help of a few friends managed to keep learning.

Hang in there.

All the best.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..