Hi all its ammad again . I bought a new sword . Plz let me knw if ita real or fake .

Someone has fitted an ordinary iron screw into the Mekugi hole. Gently unscrew and remove that, and with luck the Tsuka (hilt) should slide off. If it doesn’t, (they are often very tight), ask again.

(Watch your fingers though. Wrapping the blade in Saran wrap can help with protection, but it’s not fool-proof, especially when the blade has its original very sharp edge.)

• Thanks 1

Look for the holes in the handle where there should be a wooden peg. Usually one near the top. But on this one, I think there is another at the bottom.
Please take close up pics of those, both sides, so we can see if there is a wooden peg there, or a screw or whatever. Those must come out, and then the handle will slide off downwards to show the tang.

Its, a rinji seishiki koshirae. The quality of the koshirae is above that for showa-to swords so like Brian said we could expect a Gendaito blade in it. Be carefull with the sword and avoid any damage or bad threatment.

• Thanks 1

You have 2 screws to remove from the tsuka (handle).  Then it will come off.  If it resists, don't worry, you won't harm anything to force it off (as long as you have both screws removed!).

All the rest of the parts look original. Once you get the screws out, give us photos of them.  They might be original too, though unusual to have 2.  Normally it is 1 screw near the tsuba (handguard) and a bamboo peg (mekugi) at the top end.  

You can read about the development and history of this Contingency model or Rinji-seishiki, like Trystan said.  There are many names you will find collectors using like "Type 3", "late-war", "Marine" or "Navy Landing" sword.  But none of them are legit IJA names. 

Reading List:

Unveiling Rinjiseishiki Sword

Legally Rebutting existance Type 3 Army Officer Sword

True Significance of Type 3 Officer Sword

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amad,

Here is some really interesting information about "Nobutake" who was really Kuniie, a swordsmith instructor at the Tokyo 1st Army Arsenal, and inspector for the RJT program there:

"Submitted by Yoshii on Mon, 2009-09-07 11:45.

Information about Kuniiye

Born 26 juli 1894 in Ibaraki prefectuur
Passed away in 1970
Familyname: Yoshihara, Surname : Katsuichi
In 1933 he became the first official student at the Nippontō Tanren Denshujo
Student of Kasama Shigetsugu (shi 907)

Signed : Akihiro
Akihiro saku
oite Tokiwamatsu Yoshihara Akihiro saku kore
After 1943 Nobutake
Yoshihara Nobutake
Tokyo Dai ichi Rikugun Zoheisho Yoshihara Nobutake
Yoshihara Kuniiye
Yoshihara Kuniite saku
Yoshihara Kuniiye kitau kore
Musashi kuni jū Yoshihara Kuniiye seitan kore
Kōto jū Yoshihara Kuniiye seitan kore

In 1937 he became teacher at the Kyushu University Kingakubu Nihonto Kenkyujo.
In 1938 he started his own smithy in Nihon So Tanrenjo, in Setagaya, Tokyo
He was appointed by Kurihara Akihide as smith at the Nihonto Gakuin, (Japanese Sword Institute) in Sagamihara-cho, Zama (Sobudai), Kanagawa Prefecture.
He also beacme instructor at the Tokiwamatsu Tanren Kenkyu Jo in Shibuya, Tokyo on the estate of Toyama Mitsuru, afterna Shigetsugu had left

Hij works in Bizen and Sōshū den, he also makes utushi mono of Kiyomaro.
He was appointed Rikugun Jumei Tosho during the war.
In 1943 Kuniie was appointed as the smith instructor of the Japanese Imperial Army in the Tokyo Dai Ichi Rikugun Zoheisho, the militairy arsenal in Akabane, Tokyo.
From 1945 till 1953 he was not actice as a swordsmith. In 1953 Kuniie he started again as a swordsmith and got a licent as swordsmith, from that time on he began to teach his students the making of the Nihonto'

This is from The Nihontoclub 'Kuniie' page.

Star-stamped blades are made by RJT qualified smiths and are made with army-supplied tamahagane and locally supplied charcoal, and made in the traditional way, therefore true nihonto, or gendaito.

No one knows for sure the meaning of the stamped numbers.  They are found almost exclusively on RJT blades, so I personally feel it has something to do with their accounting or inspection system.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't remove the ashi.  While it is true, the Rinji model was designed to use one, the piece looks to be period authentic and as an expensive gunto, who knows, maybe the original owner decided he wanted one and put it there.  It is simply good to know that it wasn't designed to use one.

• Like 1

Thank you vajo . Thank you bruce . Thank u all for your professional opinions . This mean alot . Thank u again . Really appreciated.I am very happy 😃. . ..to   know  alot about it with all your help . I will treasure it . . What oil should i use to apply on the blade . So it doesn’t  catch rust . ? 

Take a good choji or camelia oil. You can mix both. Some drops of choji in camelia give a nice and decent smell. 

I would not take any machine  or weapon oil for the sword.  

Ammad,

That's a tough question.  It's going to depend a lot on the market you are in, or trying to sell it to.  I just saw someone trying to sell a Kuniie (same guy) for $6,500.  That's his asking price, anyway.  Rinji seishiki, in general, with standard smiths, tend to sell for $1,400 plus-or-minus.  I don't follow nihoto/gendaito prices, but they can be higher in the $2,400-6,500 range depending upon the smith and the blade.  So, tough question to answer from my WWII gunto view. 

Maybe the nihonto buyers/sellers can help you more on that.

• Thanks 1

Bruce thanx alot i am not intending to sell it anyways .i was just wondering about the price so ifs worth good money i will keep it thanks again bruce  . Hey stephen lol to new newbies  😆 i guess the god have blessed me .  i have 2  now one complete the one with the hilt that we are discussing right now and the other  gunto type 98 with the missing hilt . . I will measure the blade and let u knw . Here the pics taken before .the blade is clean . Few small rust very minor marks . Will update . 

1A1D0519-177E-4D34-92D3-A04CE0D84A7E.jpeg

A043B3AF-DC8B-443A-BF03-23AF1CAD8C62.jpeg

• Like 1