hagire with NBTHK hozon

Sometimes a blade will receive kanteisho in old polish and restoration will expose a previously unseen hagire. A friend has an excellent blade which was expected to be a juyo candidate after restoration. After a mukansa-level polish, a hagire was visible in this previously papered blade. It is a Shinto blade, not so old that the NBTHK would have made an allowance for the flaw. The shinsa team simply missed seeing this issue. 

• Like 6

Hello,

I know that a blade could be papered and polished after make a hagire visible.

However, I don't thinks it is the case here. Indeed, the hozon is under papering, so issued recently and we know that polisher has long delay.

Moreover, I don't thinks the blade has been polished recently because there is some scratches and something that looks like oxydation/rust just above the ha machi.

Quite strange the blade passed the Hozon, and quite strange that Aoiart doesn't spoke about these hagire in his descriptions.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

Stephen,
They are exactly the same size and shape, both sides of the sword...in the same position. I can't see how that is possible unless they are hagire.

Yep im well aware what hagire are. Im sure you remember mine.... these marks could well be cut marks from cutting 2" bamboo.  NMB anymore is to quick to think the worst on many things. Tiresome it is but don't see it changing. 

Now lets see how many down votes i get 

Aoi responds ill post it. Dont hold your breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nah, I think we'd all love to be proven wrong here. Can't see why optimism would get down votes.
My suspicions were based on the curve of the one...thought it unlikely 2 scratches would curve the same. But let's see. I hope we all wrong.
Then again, I'll have a %%#$ if the answer comes back that they aren't strictly speaking hagire because they just barely don't go through the whole hamon. Hmm...
Let's see.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Stephen,
They are exactly the same size and shape, both sides of the sword...in the same position. I can't see how that is possible unless they are hagire.

Not to be contrary, but the lower mark doesn't look the same to me on both sides. VERY similar, but not quite matching...

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Yep im well aware what hagire are. Im sure you remember mine.... these marks could well be cut marks from cutting 2" bamboo.  NMB anymore is to quick to think the worst on many things. Tiresome it is but don't see it changing. 

Now lets see how many down votes i get 

Aoi responds ill post it. Dont hold your breath.

Agree that we have a lot of armchair experts here - its interesting to watch the banter.  

• Thanks 1

This is the actual blade I mentioned above, which was discussed more as an example of how a sword with Hozon can have a hagire. Aoi had this previously papered blade polished and the hagire was visible afterwards. My friend bought this sword from Aoi understanding the issue, but wanting an otherwise healthy example of this smith's work. 

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/as15927脇差:相模守藤原政常(刃切れあり)-wakizashi-sagami-kami-fujiwara-masatsune-hagire

Hummmm

Dear Mr. Stephen 

Thank you very much for mailing and advice 

As a result of examining the information from you earlier, I was surprised to find two lines of Hagire.
Immediately I instructed the staff to withdraw the sword.
At the Japanese Sword Museum, hagire examines carefully at the examination stage and informs us of the existence of hagire, but it is surprising that this Emura passed the NBTHK Hozon Token.
In the future, we will check it carefully before selling it.
After being pointed out, I was able to find it as a result of careful examination with the lens.
We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your opinions.
Aoi Art
Kazunari Tsuruta

• Like 4

That's interesting. I just received the reply from Aoi 30 minutes ago. Regardless, thank you for sharing the update & clarification Stephen.

Best regards,

Ray

Edit: I see that we received a reply from two different people. I do not know Kazunari Tsuruta.

• Like 1

Well, there you go. Thanks to eagle eyes and their excellent photography. Sometimes pics see stuff that the eyes miss.
I guess we can call this one done and dusted. Any further comments before I close it?