What would you think this guard is worth?

Spartancrest

spent the day going to a well known market here in Tassie - Evandale near Launceston - not much there really but just by chance I visited a little Antique shop in the town - and hit the Jackpot!

I haven't found a tsuba in an actual Antique shop in nearly forty years, but today I found a genuine shakudo piece with gold chrysanthemums on both sides.

Have a guess what I had to pay - [no it is not cast, don't even go there :shock:]

image.thumb.png.9a6fa50ccf43bd602df28fde0bff48e9.png

• Like 1

Dale

not in any way disagreeing with you but as a non fittings person I was intrigued by your statement about it not being cast. As I often struggle to determine whether something is or isn't cast (there are some very good castings about) I was wondering what particular characteristic's made you so sure?

thanks

Paul

Paul 

Having it in hand it is easy to see the tool work around the seppa-dai and the weight and colour [something that often does not come across well in pictures]

I have noticed in the past some people dismiss a lot of images as being castings, so it was more of a heads up that it isn't - don't worry seen many that are, even bought a few!

Thank you all, Pietro is not far off the mark - It cost me $75 AUD. Plus no shipping which is very unusual. It was bought on a Sunday from a little old lady in a country village, who was surprised anyone would pay so much for an old piece of metal - sounds like a fairytale ;-)

For those who haven't seen this particular fairytale take a few minutes to read this wonderful nostalgic story.  http://www.tsukamaki.net/PDF/gary_montgomery01.pdf

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..