Interesting Hamon

Nagasa 67.4cm. I think it is an early Tachi maybe mid or early Kamakura especially the very tiny kissaki. Compared to my other swords in comparison the kissaki looks ridiculously small. Also surprisingly the original boshi is still there. I’m sure others will come out and give me the smack down and say it’s a worn out Shinto made to deceive others to think it’s an early piece then quickly move on… but I like it so…. Also to add the sword was greatly cut down

Edited by Utopianarian
Additional data

14 hours ago, Utopianarian said:

... I’m sure others will come out and give me the smack down and say it’s a worn out Shinto made to deceive others to think it’s an early piece then quickly move on…

Nah i dont think this will happen. 

Spoiler

There is not much to see on your pictures...

• Downvote 1

This to me appears waaay before Shinto, a huge tachi that makes me think Nambokucho. The hamon is pure art and I'd spend the money to get it restored, just my opinion.  Until then choji oil would be a great friend to the blade.

John

Yes I keep going back and forth about that. One thing to note is the other side of this blade is bad condition. Somebody in the past before I acquired this blade looked like they just restored one side. I posted this sword on the forum a few years ago about it. Not so good pics tho. Here is a pic of what we’re looking at on the other side…. I see it one of two ways Jimmy Hayashi to work a miracle or study piece. What do y’all think. It’s been a few years and still can’t decide 

FE0093EA-CAC9-4257-B620-9B08CCC17185.jpeg

91672F64-22F4-44CB-9F57-710A12F0293F.jpeg

C68AEB3E-82E3-4C35-A444-735008448F0C.jpeg

I still have yet to have it looked at. I am sure whom ever had the blade before me there was a reason they stopped after only polishing one side and did not pursue any more restoration. I’m sure this avenue was pursued many times throughout the years. Only if by a small chance it’s a late Heian Tomonari or something along those lines would I pursue an expensive restoration venture such as umegane/polish if it’s even possible. I got this blade for close to nothing so for me might be worth it after an expert looks at it in hand. I do believe the age of the blade to be late Heian to early Kamakura for what it’s worth. It’s amazing to me that these blades as old as they are still exist and didn’t completely decompose back into the earth that they were forged from.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..