Osafune Kanemitsu Possible 2nd or 3rd Gen

Trying to gather as much information as possible to determine the generation of Kanemitsu of Osafune. Signed and dated Bishu Osafune Kanemitsu, first character on date damaged but may be Oei 2. Measurements: Nagasa 58cm, Nakago 16.5, Moto-haba 2.9cm, Saki-haba 2.1cm, Moto- kasane 0.8cm, saki-kasane 0.6cm, Kissaki 3.3cm, Sori 1.3cm, with funbari, niku, and ubu. 1 mekugi-Ana. Flame tipped boshi. Semi-hada when reflected in right light angle appears like cicadas wing structure that features characteristic veins. Hamon based in nioi, saguha with sunagashi with much sweeping areas with tiny elements of occasional eyes or swirls at top of hamon. A lot of oxidation and hard to make out in most areas due to condition. Iori mune. Signature high sabi-giwa chiseled in deep strokes. Heavy dark patina on nakago. I know there is controversy on the 1st and 2nd generation debate. This is prob later generation what do you think.916E4D61-5BDC-42F0-BFE6-639E112A37F2.thumb.jpeg.7fdda6fc0f62a9ffd7c43ea33ed9a17d.jpeg916E4D61-5BDC-42F0-BFE6-639E112A37F2.thumb.jpeg.7fdda6fc0f62a9ffd7c43ea33ed9a17d.jpeg916E4D61-5BDC-42F0-BFE6-639E112A37F2.thumb.jpeg.7fdda6fc0f62a9ffd7c43ea33ed9a17d.jpegA9C9FF00-F0D8-4851-997E-4A5B07F1DBEB.thumb.jpeg.86f1e1a9f55bce75f4e3306861a75861.jpeg

B9DDCFB5-D70A-4459-9769-AD24CD3C8EDC.jpeg

Edited by Utopianarian
Added info

George -

Remember they don't put gimei on poor swords generally and it you want to gussy up a mumei blade it makes sense (cents) to put a Bizen name on a Bizen sword - stick with the workmanship as has been said ignore this signature...

-t

While I am no expert comparable to the folks that have chimed in already but - to me it looks a bit odd at a first glance. Signatures even by the illiterate smiths of the era show a bit more 'character' in the art of chiseling of the nakago should we say. Of course Many exceptions to my statement however at the first glance I mentioned, I feel that something is off. 

I agree with Ray Singer that tired blades exhibit utsuri however yours is too thick to be tired IMHO. So be it as it may your best guess is to send it off to Japan (not sure whether to do it with this signature) since NTHK shinsa won't happen in SF this year (😪)

John

As the sugata don't match the first generation (shinogi zukuri wakizashi didn't exist at that time), we can eliminate him. The nihonto meikan lists 4 others Kanemitsu, all are low ranked smiths. 

George, don't believe that that kind of pictures are useful. It's already difficult to judge an unpolished blade (even polished) when you have it in hands; so, based on a few bad pictures it's divinatory art, nothing else.

• Like 2

Afraid it is gimei. I think shinto, kanbun period likely. I am doubtful if this is utsuri, it appears too bright on the photos. It certainly isn't Bizen Osafune midare Utsuri. I can barely take photos of Utsuri on a mint Osafune school sword however hard I try personally, and certainly not at the top-down angle. I think it is a polishing effect, similar to the ones you see on Yahoo JP! once and a while. 

• Like 2

I will definitely consider that. The fact that also it is an ubu wakizashi is telling. Especially the fact that I bought it on eBay for $600 I assumed that it was gimei. The tiredness or polishing effect does run the length of the blade and can be viewed directly overhead it is bright and sparkles and quite clear. It is very hard to capture that effect in a picture. I will definitely consider all points of view.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, Ray Singer said:

To clarify Jacques, are you saying that this is an authentic inscription of a late Muromachi Sue-Bizen Kanemitsu? The date on the nakago appears to read Oei 2 (1395). The inscription is unfortunately entirely fanciful. 

As I don't have any oshigata of these smiths as reference I can't exclude the fact that the signature is valid. I always base my opinion on factual information, not on a simple opinion.

Thank you for that Jacques. You guys have an amazing amount of reference material that one cannot easily find online along with much knowledge to interpret what you are looking at. I don’t have a lot of confidence in this blade but none the less worth studying and has some interesting characteristics. The part that seems odd is the placement of where the date is signed is odd which was discussed 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..