Katana showoff (and eventual help)

MovieFactoryYT

Hi there,

Its me again.

This time I wanted to post my 2 katana that i own. both of them seem interesting, atleast to me.

The one in koshirae couldnt be attributed to a smith(in the hozon certificate), the only information i have about it is that its mumei, sue bizen school and from the bunmei era (1469 - 1487). it also has a bit of damage at a specific spot (shown in the pictures).

If anyone is able to find out more info about it, please tell me.

The one in the Shirasaya is allegedly a Kaneharu Gen.3 piece (Kanbun 1661 - 1673). it isnt NBTHK papered but i have Japanese registration papers and an assessment document of an expert from germany.

what i find interesting about it is that its length is 2 shaku down to the millimetre. so from the length alone it could be both a katana or a wakizashi.

Now i first gotta save some money till i can make my next purchase.

sheathed-min.jpg

unsheathed-min.jpg

disassembled-min.jpg

kaneharugen3nakago-min.jpg

suebizennakago-min.jpg

kizu-min.jpg

The Saya and the handle itself are pretty old. The wood looks like it has seen a lot. The seppa and tsuba also look quite old. The wrapping and the samegawa look relatively new. With fuchi and kashira I have no idea. They don't look beat up but they also don't look like they have been cast. 

Your blades look nice,

Just have a thing about decent blades being brought down by questionable koshirae.

The ito wrap looks amateurish, if any of the fittings are modern repro i would get rid and start again with old, or just get shirasaya made.

Nice swords though!

• Like 1

i did plan to send it to a shinsa anyway, it just had that document with it when i bought it so i thought id mention it. correct me if im wrong but isnt the "max length" of a wakizashi also 2 shaku? everywhere i only read "wakizashi length is between 1 and 2 shaku"

another question. curretnly im reading a few books about nihonto and trying to educate my self about that topic in general. i still have a lot to learn and there is much i dont know. what impact does the damage of the sue bizen sword i shared above have on the swords value? i personally think it gives the sword a bit of "flavor" but how does the market see that?

Basically it works as follows:

A katana is 2 shaku (roughly 24") or greater.
A wakizashi is less than 2 shaku but greater than 1 shaku.
A tanto is less than 1 shaku.

Some people argue over whether shape/original intent has an impact, but the definitions are directly linked to their length; so there's no real argument on it. Its just quibbling over minutiae at that point. Your blade is a katana. If it ever loses any length due to suriage, then it becomes a wakizashi.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..