wakizashi showoff

MovieFactoryYT

Hello there,

i joined this forum a couple off days ago because i needed help with a sword i got.

I have been infected with the nihonto collecting fever a few months ago when i made my first purchase which i want to show off and hear opinions about it now.

This wakizashi came with a hozon paper and a full oshigata. i think it was a bit more expensive than it had to be but i got a big discount on the next nihonto i bought from that seller so its alright i guess.

it is attributed to "Ecchu Kami Kanekuni (2nd Generation)" of the "Yamato Tengai Kanenaga den" and dated to the Enkyō era (1744-1748).

the tsuba does have a signature too but i havent deciphered it yet. if anybody can read it, the info would be greatly appreciated.

ecchu-kami-kanekuni-2nd-generation-wakizashi-.jpg

whole-min.jpg

tang-min.jpg

tsuba1-min.jpg

tsuba2-min.jpg

• Like 3

Your tsuba reads 

洛陽西陣住

埋忠作

Rakuyō Nishijin-jū

Umetada saku

Rakuyō Nishijin is a section of Kyōto. Umetada is the name of a very famous metalsmith. Probably best to consider this as gimei. Your sword is a fine wakizashi. I don't know how much you paid for it, but I think it is a good first purchase. Many of us bought junk swords as our first purchase. Your sword here is not junk. 

• Like 3

luckily i did my "junk" collecting with cheap new produced non Japanese swords first so when it came to nihonto i was already somewhat expirienced. i think i payed 3.5k € originally for it. and yeah i dont think that its a legit signature. im sure the seller would have pointed it out then

Dear Simon.

Welcome and congratulations, a nice signed, papered sword, in polish and with nice koshirae.  I did find one other tsuba signed this way that looks quite similar so maybe not a false signature but that really doesn't matter in this context.

Enjoy!

All the best.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..