type 95 nco got a upgrade

In Japan, this is as close as you get to owning a Type 95, unless you do not mind having the blade cut into pieces.

Shamsy, it has a Suya scabbard, serial number 9563, that is painted black.  It is awaiting your expert analysis!

I've always been clear in my opinion about historic blades in 95 fittings. There is a thread about it somewhere so I won't repeat my points. I am very sceptical about these.

Regarding the black, it is certainly period. Is it original to the sword when it left the arsenal? I think it is extremely unlikely, for the reasons outlined and discussed in the black saya thread. I find myself somewhat unsure why there are black saya now. The ones crudely applied over brown/OD original paint and the more neatly applied are in different categories. Nick seems adamant that there was no shortage of brown paint and red bean was a readily available alternative. So why the black? I really don't know anymore.

Can someone with better eyes tell me if the shots attached have rust colouration or are traces of previous paint? Seems to have saved all the pictures as one and in poor resolution... looking mainly at the end near the drag and one mid saya shot.

• Like 1

Steve,

I'd post the pics for the thread, but when I click the link now, the pics are gone.  I saw it the first time I went, but not now. 

Hope someone will copy and post them here.

After reading the list of officer swords turned in by NCOs in @BANGBANGSAN's thread, nothing would surprise me.

At least this one actually has a habaki! But why mount it in NCO fittings if you can get a traditional koshirae? There was never a shortage of fittings that I am aware of. Some materials, but you can find traditionalfittings in all materials well towards te end of the war. I'm not sure taking fittings belonging to the emperors for your personal blade would have been considered very proper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamsy said:

I'm not sure taking fittings belonging to the emperors for your personal blade would have been considered very proper. 

Steve, I would have assumed just the opposite.  An NCO with "Emperor property" (i.e. the Type 95 fittings) putting a personal/private blade in them.  Probably would have kept the issue blade on the side.

To the undercoat - the brown looks like rust.  The bluish-green is really odd.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..