Possible early Generation Osafune Tachi

George, I think not. At least the rule should be that the nengo is symmetric - if the mei is in the nakago shinogiji, that is where the nengo would be on the opposite side. Also the positioning on the nakago would be the same (here the mei is towards the nakagojiri due to suriage). 
I think what  you are [trying] / [hoping] to see appears to be towards the hassaki side. Is it also higher up? I cannot tell. 
Honestly, try with some of the meikan and show it to someone in hand in the US. 

We are focusing a lot on the mei but there is enough of the hamon and hada to study. Compare to some of the Oei guys (the problematic issue you have is the unusual mei / syntax for that time). For earlier smiths, I would expect a much more “active” hamon (see separate topic on the active hamon :)). So, some headscratchers which need to be resolved with spending the time with the blade, Osafune taikan, Sesko books plus online images of relevant smiths. Invest the time, learn, enjoy…. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Valric said:

Empirical data > Books. Don't believe everything you read, even reference material makes mistakes. 

Chris, it is pointless :)))

I have attached the evidence, explained it etc. Now, I respect the Nihonto Koza enormously and refer to it frequently. I just wish to point out that Afu Watson himself  published his translation in 1994, which makes the translation itself a bit dated at nearly 30 years old (but still a classic advanced text).  The Japanese Koza came out in 1966 (!) I think and was revised or merely reprinted in 1972. Now in the intervening 50+ years,

since that text was published many new swords were discovered, documented and passed through Juyo (including the examples I attached). 

Anyway, if Jacques is happy to ignore the new discoveries and still believe that the Earth is flat, that is fine :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Chris, it is pointless :)))

I have attached the evidence, explained it etc. Now, I respect the Nihonto Koza enormously and refer to it frequently. I just wish to point out that Afu Watson himself  published his translation in 1994, which makes the translation itself a bit dated at nearly 30 years old (but still a classic advanced text).  The Japanese Koza came out in 1966 (!) I think and was revised or merely reprinted in 1972. Now in the intervening 50+ years,

since that text was published many new swords were discovered, documented and passed through Juyo (including the examples I attached). 

Anyway, if Jacques is happy to ignore the new discoveries and still believe that the Earth is flat, that is fine :)

Bla bla bla .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..